What size arbor press needed to broach 3/16 - 3/8" keyways in gears and pulleys

I don't believe this was already mentioned but, when driving the broach, it's wise to repeat cycles of applying pressure then releasing tension after every tooth of travel. This allows you to realign the piece and not risk snapping the broach. (Trust me on this, I do a fair amount of slot cutting and broaching).

Ray
Hi Ray,
thanks, in your opinion , can that be done on a 10 ton shop press?
thanks,
jon

Sure! Crank down for 1 tooth, release the pressure valve, make sure things are still lined up and repeat the process.

Easy shpeasy...

EDIT: I forgot to mention dark cutting oil. Don't forget a little of that too. Makes a huge difference.

Ray

Hi Ray,
thanks, in your opinion , can that be done on a 10 ton shop press?
thanks,
jon

HTML:
I don't believe this was already mentioned but, when driving the broach, it's wise to repeat cycles of applying pressure then releasing tension after every tooth of travel. This allows you to realign the piece and not risk snapping the broach. (Trust me on this, I do a fair amount of slot cutting and broaching).

That would make sence to the lose of "feel" with a ratcheting arbor press.

Actually, you can see the broaches bed and they will snap -It's happened to me. Those are made of tool steel, very hard and brittle.

Ray

HTML:

That would make sence to the lose of "feel" with a ratcheting arbor press.

Back