What size arbor press needed to broach 3/16 - 3/8" keyways in gears and pulleys

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,
what size arbor press would you advise to get for enough room to work with the broach, and be able to develop a feel for when things are heading south.
Thanks in advance,
jon

I do quite a bit of broaching. Both square hole and keyway. It would take a large arbor press to have the height to clear...my 3/8 broarch is 9" long about 1/2" of it fits into the hole so if broaching through 1" material you need min 9 1/2 ". That may be more of a concern than the tonage. A press that can accept that lenght will likely have plenty of tonnage.
That said I use nothing but a hammer to drive my broaches.

BTW, it helps to mill or drill a hole in the place where the slot will be formed. Makes life a little easier....

Ray

I do quite a bit of broaching. Both square hole and keyway. It would take a large arbor press to have the height to clear...my 3/8 broarch is 9" long about 1/2" of it fits into the hole so if broaching through 1" material you need min 9 1/2 ". That may be more of a concern than the tonage. A press that can accept that lenght will likely have plenty of tonnage.
That said I use nothing but a hammer to drive my broaches.
I have seen the limit of height on all but the big guys that way 300 ibs
i had seen a palmgreen at 70 lbs with 8 in capacity over table.
The next one up is 12.5 in and 160lb which is a bit heavy to drag down the basement.
Enco sells a 12.5 ht cap and is 140lbs
and they sell a ratcheting model for $30 more and is 140lbs
can they be broken diwn into ligjter wt?

thanks
jon

Last edited by a moderator:
HTML:
can they be broken diwn into ligjter wt?

Even completly taken apart the main casting is going to be most of the weight. I think racheting may cause a total loss of the feel for the broaching procces. I have never tied it that way, maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

BTW, it helps to mill or drill a hole in the place where the slot will be formed. Makes life a little easier....

Ray
Thanks Ray, that is a simple but very effectuve tip, thanks fir sharing

jon

Arbor presses with ratchet handles work just fine, no feel is lost at all, and you gain the advantage of always being able to get the arbor press handle in a "good spot" for optimum leverage and feel. Having done enough arbor press work over the years, I would not purchase one without the ratcheting handle.

Naturally, this is just my opinion, and others may have different feelings and thoughts on the subject.

A ratchet type arbor press IMHO has a big advantage. I broach with it all the time. It has good feedback and I like being able to set the handle where I have the best control.

I would just get a 12 to 15 ton shop press You will have plinty of roome and with a hand pump you still get a good feel for what is going on. As long as you keep the broach streight, It is pritty evintless task. I use a 100ton press, push the button and catch the broach so it don't hit the floore.

I don't believe this was already mentioned but, when driving the broach, it's wise to repeat cycles of applying pressure then releasing tension after every tooth of travel. This allows you to realign the piece and not risk snapping the broach. (Trust me on this, I do a fair amount of slot cutting and broaching).

Ray

Back