What Quick Change Tool Post For My Logan 11"

Although the 102 holder works OK with 3/8" and 1/2" cutters, I wouldn't try to put 5/16" or 1/4" ones in it as their left side will be unsupported. I would recommend having maybe two or three 102's but buy 101's for your extras. Most of them will spend their lives holding one cutter that you don't use too often but when you need it you need it.

For the beveling cutter, you can use the back end of the knurling holder. Or at least on mine, I can. It's another one that you don't need all the time but when you need it, you need it now.

Thanks guys. Yes the insert holders were what I was asking about. But still learning about the AXA tool post holder itself, so any information is helpful. It's easy to make expensive mistakes when learning.

OK. Then I would suggest that you buy a set of the 3/8" square brazed turning tools (with spares) in both C2 and C5 grade carbide (C5 is generally for steel and alloy and C2 for non-ferrous). Learn with them while you get up to speed on some of what's available in replaceable inserts (both holders and inserts) and start saving for a No, 116 insert holder. The 101 and 102 holders are cheap. The 116 is relatively expensive and not made by many companies.

I just tonite finished rebuilding my Logan model 1955H (1963 vintage).
My first test was to turn a piece of HRS with an insert tool and to verify that the lathe
would in fact work with 1/2" brazed and insert tooling as the height is very close to maxing out
to get on center. This is using AXA/100 style tool post and tool holders.
There is not much vertical room to spare as it turns out. I suspect a BXA would not work out.
I borrowed the tool post of my South Bend 9A, so I'm in the market for another.
The T nuts are not compatible.
RichD, Canton, Ga

Back