What paint for a new exterior fiberglass door?

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
I am replacing an old exterior wood door with a new fiberglass exterior door. Both the door and jamb appear to be primed from the factory. The color will be white. The door gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun a day. I usually use acetone for wiping down before painting. I have an HVLP sprayer or I can roll the paint.

What type of paint should I use. The oil based paints that I am used to using seem to be no longer available.

Last edited:
It's fiberglass, anything you choose will work. Oil is great for wood, but not necessary for FG. Consider Urethane, or just latex. With latex, once you go latex you need to stick with it. Ask the Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, or whatever your local paint shop is what they recommend.

There are many rattle can options for 2 part paint, once you "mix" it you need to use the whole can, not a problem with a door.

Just need to be sure it is outdoor and sunlight rated.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was looking at the marine topside paint but wasn't sure it would be the proper paint. Now that you mentioned it they do have a semigloss white which would be perfect. I appreciate the recommendation.

I am also looking into the 2 part polyurethane spray paints. I am a little worried about getting an even coat with a can but the door has a big window inn the center so it shouldn't be too hard to get an even coverage.

I REALLY hate having to redo a project in 5 or 10 years. A couple great suggestions for some serious paint. Thanks!

Last edited:
I REALLY hate having to redo a project in 5 or 10 years.
Me too, but I‘ve also come to grips with unless you move every 5-10yrs you WILL be doing things over. Just the nature of having a house. To me it’s just a cycle, go through and fix up everything systematically and by the time you’re done you start from the top of the list again. The paint on the then newly installed French doors was about 10yrs before. I’ll gladly go with 10yr cycle over 5yrs any day.

I was looking at the marine topside paint but wasn't sure it would be the proper paint. Now that you mentioned it they do have a semigloss white which would be perfect. I appreciate the recommendation.

I am also looking into the 2 part polyurethane spray paints. I am a little worried about getting an even coat with a can but the door has a big window inn the center so it shouldn't be too hard to get an even coverage.

I REALLY hate having to redo a project in 5 or 10 years. A couple great suggestions for some serious paint. Thanks!
I would contact the retailer or manufacturer on the door and see what use most takes outside water base paint. Automotive paint on most fiber glass is a option too.

Dave

We have two fiberglass French doors that face south. The original paint was gone and I got the special primer that goes with this and it has held up far better than the OEM. Covers really good and looks as good as when I put it on 2yrs ago.

I ended up ordering a quart of the Rustoleum Marine topside paint at $28. Not awful. I also ordered a quart of the Rustoleum Marine topside wood and fiberglass primer for $45... ouch! But worth it if it saves me work down the road.

P.S. The door was a closeout and didn't have the manufactures tag on it.

Professional builder here. I recommend Valspar Duramax, Exterior Paint-Primer. It is available It Lowe's and other paint distributors. It is by far the best exterior paint I ever used. It literally can cover in one coat but apply two. I first used it to paint a bungalow about 15 years ago, it still looks like it was painted yesterday, no cracks, peeling or chalking whatsoever. They claim it is a "lifetime" paint, I was skeptical at first but now starting to believe it.

Professional builder here. I recommend Valspar Duramax, Exterior Paint-Primer. It is available It Lowe's and other paint distributors. It is by far the best exterior paint I ever used. It literally can cover in one coat but apply two. I first used it to paint a bungalow about 15 years ago, it still looks like it was painted yesterday, no cracks, peeling or chalking whatsoever. They claim it is a "lifetime" paint, I was skeptical at first but now starting to believe it.
I have never been a fan of the one can primer/paint. But I'm a believer, I had to paint some aluminum siding that got real ugly. Cleaned it off, and tried it. about 12 years and still going. It's in the sun in the morn, and you can hear the alum creaking as they heat up, and expand, so it does take abuse.. even in the winter. I still use separate primer / paint for other paint jobs, but I would not hesitate outdoors to use the all in one again. Mine was behrs.

Back