What oil pump would be best suited for my Gornati Lathe ?

FredCailloux

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process to completely refurbish my Gornati Leopard 180 Lathe.
While dismantling it, I found that the original oil pump in the Head Stock assembly is missing.
So I searched for a replacement on the web and found this model on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Model TOP-12A - Oil Pump for Lathe
The seller offers 3 models:
TOP-11A Displacement: 1.6ml/r; Flow: 1500rpm(2.5L/min) 1800rpm(2.9L/min); Pressure: 0.5Mpa; Maximum RPM. 2000r/min
TOP-12A Displacement: 2.5ml/r; Flow: 1500rpm(3.7L/min) 1800rpm(4.5L/min); Pressure: 0.5Mpa; Maximum RPM. 1800r/min
TOP-13A Displacement: 4ml/r; Flow: 1500rpm( 6L/min) 1800rpm(7.2L/min); Pressure: 0.5Mpa; Maximum RPM. 1800r/min

The TOP-13A is not available, so that leaves me with TOP-11A or TOP-12A options.
I am confident that I can fit either on my Gornati Leopard 180. (see my other post for pictures)
My Leopard 180 from Gornati

Based on the motor RPM I calculated that the input RPM on the Head Stock is about 1000RPM, which is also the oil pump drive shaft.
So based on that speed I recon that the TOP-11A will pump 94 liters/hour and the TOP-12A will pump 147 liters/hour.
I have no idea if these flow are adequate.
Which model should I go for ? Top-11A or TOP-12A ?
Can someone bring some guidance on this parameter ?
Thanks

I don't have any specific knowledge of either your model lathe or continuous pumped lubricating systems (other than automotive), however even 94 liters/hour sound like a factor of 10 more than I would guess necessary. 94L just sounds crazy high to me.
At any rate, I would want to know where/how that volume is being distributed. Is the pump output connected to a system of plumbing to get the lube where it needs to be, or is it just squirted all over the interior of the headstock?
If the lube is plumbed, I would want to be sure there was a pressure relief valve in the system. Excessive lube pressure might do harm. What's a reasonable pressure? More research required.

At any rate, I would want to know where/how that volume is being distributed. Is the pump output connected to a system of plumbing to get the lube where it needs to be, or is it just squirted all over the interior of the Headstock?
Actually, it is both. There is some rudimentary piping from the bottom oil container, sucking up oil by the pump into Headstock.
Once outputted from the pump, much of this oil is skirted inside a rectangular channel partly covered by the Headstock cover.
This channel has 16 small holes ( 0.1" ID) through which the oil is dripped inside the Headstock.
On the top cover there is a see-through acrylic cap into which the oil is ejected prior to drop back into the channel,
presumably for the user to assess that the oil is really circulating.
The pump is also outputting some oil into a copper pipe to the feed selector ( the transmission).

94 L/hour is equivalent to 1.5 L/minute. I can visualize that it is possible to bring 1.5 liters of oil in the headstock in a minute. I realize that this may seem a lot of oil but I think it's possible. It seams a lot of oil but it's not like a jet, it's more like lot's of oil dripping everywhere.
So, I think it is possible.

From your answer, I gather that the smallest TOP-11A model would be more that sufficient.
Your thoughts ?

Thanks

There are a lot of different factors as to oil pump specifications, too high a flow and the oil may overshoot where it is directed, too low and the bearing/metering orifices may not get adequate flow. Delivery rate is a function of he pump design, speed and pressure. Looking at electric pressurized headstock lubrication systems on the Sunmaster lathes, they use a 1/4Hp electric motor driving a RA5 pump at 1750 RPM, the specifications would be similar to the TOP-12A pump. Be sure to get the correct turning rotation as these only work in one direction.

Back