[Newbie] What Makes A Hack Saw High Tension?

Hex173t

Registered
Registered
I have a hack saw that applies tension to the blade. Do all hack saw frames do this? Is there a point where the tension on the blade is considered high tension? I'm sure this is something that is elementary, but I would like to know

Bill

High tension hacksaws are regular hacksaws on steroids. They apply much more tension to the blade, and are much nicer to use. Less blade bending and produce a cleaner cut.

My dad found a Lenox Hackmaster high tension hacksaw frame at a garage sale, never went back to a standard one!

I am pretty sure that "high tension" is like "high definition." It is a label that anyone can tack on a product.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hack-Saw-12...467074?hash=item3ceab06742:g:0wYAAOSwu4BVy-EO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hack-Saw-12...467074?hash=item3ceab06742:g:0wYAAOSwu4BVy-EO
They look like a standard old fashioned blade breaker to me :)

If you get one from a company that still actually cares about it's name, you will get a saw that will put way more tension on a blade than a normal saw. It will cut better with less effort, and the blades will last longer. Hard to go wrong with a Lenox.
If you get it from China, it will prolly twist before it gets near what a Lenox will do.

Agreed, I have two of the Lenoxes (Lenii ?) and there is no comparrison to the lesser hacksaw frames. Never looked back, they cost more and are worth the price.
Would never buy anything lesser, they feel like cutting with a wet noodle after using a decent frame.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Not sure I get the high tension versus regular hacksaw nuance. On all 4 of my manual hacksaws I can crank up the tension as much as the blade will take.
Mike the grouchy old guy

A hacksaw blade is basically a bandsaw blade, so you're talking at least 500lb. I don't have any regular hacksaws the could handle that.

No, but the high tension Lenox frames can handle up to 50,000 psi. That's enough to keep the blade straight and taut under most conditions, right? On older style hacksaws the blade can be tensioned but the frame itself bends - I have two that do just that. There is a significant performance difference between standard and high tension saws.

Back