What Magnifying Glass Do You Use?

Handheld 5" round magnifier
Florescent Magnifying Lamp
Opti Visor 2.5x 8" focal length
USB Microscope (for desk work)
Amscope SE400-Y Binocular Stereo Microscope (for bench work)

I got this set and a few others from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Beileshi®-Ma...d=1468510415&sr=8-19&keywords=magnafine+glass

Comes in handy for very close work. Basically an eye loop you don't hang on to. I have the 10x in one side and 25x in opposite side and view with one eye at a time only.
Often times the eye loops are handier and you don't have to get your face so close. but if you need two hands to hold what your viewing then these have worked for me.

i generally use hand held units, but i do have a set of jewelers loupes that get infrequent use.
the next step for me will be the headband flip up type, i imagine.

I just take my glasses off when I need to see something small. :dunno:

I just take my glasses off when I need to see something small. :dunno:
That's what I do, but I can only focus out to about 8" that way. Put my glasses on, and I can only focus in to about 20". Dimestore reading glasses don't work for me, of course. Freehand grinding with my glasses off and my nose 6" from the stone probably isn't the best of shop practices...

I use a pair of 4X drugstore glasses. I can get by with them BECAUSE MY EYES ARE BOTH THE SAME. If yours are not,you should get prescription glasses. I have them too,but can't tell which are the PRESCRIPTION glasses as I have so many pair laying around!!

I do get quite tired after a few hours of working with the 4X glasses. They take a lot of energy to use. Your eyes use about 1/3 of your body's energy I have read. I certainly do get tired,and sooner,the older I get.

I have several loupes, a USB microscope and clip-on jewler's magnifiers for my glasses, but my favorite is a little fold-up hand held magnifying glass with a very bright LED light.

81HIKQQM5gL._SL1500_.jpg

I like this one, too. Is is made by Meade.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 11.00.20 AM.png

Back