What lathe accessory should I buy next?

clevinski

Active User
Registered
Hi, All,

I'm thinking about the next accessory I should purchase for my 7 x 14, and I'm considering either a 4-jaw chuck or a faceplate. You can mount a lot of different items in the 4-jaw, but you need the faceplate to turn between centers and to mount items that won't fit the 4-jaw. So the question is: what should my next purchase be, and not just from the two items mentioned above?

I already have the following (I'm not including cutting tools, boring bars, cutoff tools and the such):

. 4-inch 3-jaw chuck
. Tailstock drill chuck
. Live and dead centers
. Dial indicator and magnetic base
. Calipers and micrometer
. QCTP (OXA)
. Knurling tool (came with the OXA)
. Steady rest
. Follow rest

I really bought the lathe to help with various repair projects at home, but I've always been addicted to machine tools and the ability to make whatever I need.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Charlie

You can turn between centres using a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck. It involves chucking up a short piece of round stock and turning a 60[SUP]0[/SUP] point on it. You leave it in the chuck until you are finished your between-centres project. The lathe dog that drives the work is pushed around by one of the chuck jaws.

I haven't needed to clamp large stock onto the faceplate very often. Come to think of it, all of my faceplates have been made on the lathes they were meant for. Easy project. A lot easier than making a 4-jaw. :biggrin:

The tools that you would think you will need for your next project. Calipers are a must along with Dial indicator and magnetic base for checking dimensions. Most of your list would be great, but buy a little at a time and you will get it all in a little while. My mini lathe and mill came with most all extras, and half of the boxes are not even opened yet because I did not need them yet, but might at some point. My big lathe only has the basics so far like QCTP, drill chuck, and centers. Everyone is different on the tools they use or need so just figure out what kind of work you will be doing and go from there.
Paul

Ditto on the 4-jaw. I don't know what I'd do without mine.

-Ron

There isn't much that can't be held in a 4-jaw and as Hawkeye mentioned, you can turn between centers without a faceplate.

Get the 4-jaw for sure.

Tom

I agree,4 jaw definitely. Back in the 70's,I can't recall why,I had just bought a Jet 10" lathe but didn't have the 4 jaw. I had to drill and thread a brass block off center for someone. I had a time trying to get the part cobbled into the 3 jaw so that the hole ran on center. I finally did,but it was by guess and juggling. With a 4 jaw,it would have been just a few minutes adjusting.

yes 4 jaw
maybe a milling attachment
I believe littlemachineshop.com sells one for that lathe
they sell a lot of replacement parts and options for the small lathes
steve

Thanks, guys!

The 4-jaw seems to be the hands-down winner, so that'll be my next purchase.

Charlie

Of the two choices, I use a 4-jaw more than a faceplate. In fact, it's been years since I used a faceplate.

More than either, and not on your list, is a collet holder kit.
I use mine as often as I use the 3-jaw, and even more on my 7X minlathe.
They are more accurate than a 3-jaw, they don't mar the workpiece, and you can grip screw threads without hurting the threads.

You can get an MT3 ER-type set for about $60

Or you can buy MT3 collets in various sizes.
You will have to make a drawbar for either type, but we all need another project, and that's an easy one.

Back