What kind of welder to get?

Harry,
I'm going to throw in my two cents worth here. You have O/A experience and you seem to have most likely used a MIG. That means you know what a weld puddle is and it's a matter of picking the most cost effective single machine for general use. I don't own a MIG and will likely never have a use for one with what I do, but I have to agree it is probably the most versatile general purpose machine for "everything".

Almost two decades ago I professionally welded for about 6 1/2 years and used TIG, MIG (occasionally) and PAW (plasma arc welding) on primarily titanium and stainless along with aluminum to a lesser extent. I'm spoiled and hate grinding welds, so I have a Miller Diversion 165 (dedicated TIG) and an O/A set up for all of my hot work. I never have a need for high deposition rates and precision is needed, so TIG is my happy place. As others have said, cost for the unit is higher and you need a tank for shield gas, but the newer TIG machines are so much more user friendly than what I worked with (Aircrafter 351) that they can quickly make your welds look like you're a seasoned veteran.

I'm not trying to sell you on TIG, but if you have a chance to go to a dealer that has one set up for demonstration, you might be amazed what technology has done for user friendliness. That also may mean the newer MIG units have benefited from technology, so see what they have to offer.

Just remember: Stick = high deposition rate, least precision for detail work, but some guys are gifted.
MIG = moderate/fast deposition rate depending on machine amperage, takes practice for precision, but tiny work is a pain.
TIG = low deposition rate, high level of control for heat affected zone and welds that don't need clean up (assuming your not a putz)
O/A = WHATEVER YOU ARE CAPABLE OF! Fast, slow, tiny HAZ, huge HAZ, lots of filler, no filler, very versatile, but proficiency is one of those things that one can never stop learning. (I still have a lot to learn!)

Good luck with you shop construction and try not to get overwhelmed with opinions. As I said, that's my two cents worth and it's worth half of that.

Mark
Hey Crank,

Yes the feedback may seem a little overwhelming at times and that's OK as being bombarded with lots of information gives me a chance to “read between the lines” as the saying goes. One of my primary learning processes is to overwhelm my brain with new information, sit back/take a break, and then I start to see patterns/trains of thought/ways of doing stuff that makes sense to me.

We have a place called in town called “The Forge” which is a 501c3 nonprofit community makerspace and they have a Saturday welding class with hands on experience that I plan on taking that as an introduction back into welding.

Take care,
Harry

I ,too, have the old woodworking tool bug. Of my metal working tools , only the welder bought new and the mill/drill bought used,have paid for them selves. In fact the welder has at least three or four times over ,paid for it's self.
Hey Downwindtrack,

I will be selling my woodworking equipment as I do not have room for that and the metal working stuff I have bought. And the woodworking side just does not have that appeal that the metal side does.

Two years from now I plan on being retired with my shed wired, lights, a little heat for the winter months, machines purchased and enjoying my new daily commute up the backyard to my new work shop.

Take care,
Harry

Hey Downwindtrack,

I will be selling my woodworking equipment as I do not have room for that and the metal working stuff I have bought. And the woodworking side just does not have that appeal that the metal side does.

Two years from now I plan on being retired with my shed wired, lights, a little heat for the winter months, machines purchased and enjoying my new daily commute up the backyard to my new work shop.

Take care,
Harry

I can't imagine selling any of my tools. Sure I don't use the table saw or the radial arm saw very often, but my time is valuable to me. When I have to do a bit of wood work its nice to have a table saw right there. One with router leaf bolted on. Joiner, hand planes, bandsaw, they all get used once in a while for this or that.

I can't imagine selling any of my tools. Sure I don't use the table saw or the radial arm saw very often, but my time is valuable to me. When I have to do a bit of wood work its nice to have a table saw right there. One with router leaf bolted on. Joiner, hand planes, bandsaw, they all get used once in a while for this or that.
Hard choices to be made when you are limited to 14'x10 of floor space.

Hard choices to be made when you are limited to 14'x10 of floor space.

Yeah, I'd look real hard at finding a way to increase my floor space. I feel very fortunate that I was able to build my shop when I did.

If you have any need or desire to weld aluminum you need a TIG, A TIG will also allow you to stick weld. If not, a MIG is the best choice. The little 110v are handy, but get one that is 110/220 and an argon setup so you can weld thicker metal and still be able to transport and use 110 and flux core for stuff. I highly recommend the Millers. I have a victor O/A set and can't remember the last time I used it. In fact if anyone in Arizona is looking for a small set with tanks and cart, I'll sell it cheap!
So why do you not use you O/A anymore?

Couple of comments, Harry.

1. I agree with what just about everyone has suggested to you with regard to shop power. My shop is a converted pole barn that I enclosed and is about 100' from the house. It cost a little extra, but I put a 100 amp subpanel out there and had to run fairly heavy underground cable to feed it (6 gauge or heavier as I recall). But I can tell you, it was well worth the expense. I've NEVER overloaded my system or kicked a breaker - and I added a 3-phase converter out there. If you're not that far from your power supply, the cost won't be quite as high (but only some of your expense will be priced by the foot), and I promise you - you won't regret going ahead and biting the bullet now. My welder and other pieces of shop equipment run off of 30A breakers, so obviously my supply needs to be greater than that. As some others have noted, it's a real nuisance when you're in the middle of a project and discover you're underpowered.

2. With regard to a welder, keep in mind - you get what you pay for. My first welder was a fairly light duty Lincoln that ran off 110 power. It was given to me (by someone who upgraded - my, my) and, don't get me wrong, it was a nice welder for what it did. What I soon discovered, however, that more often than not, it was not sufficient for the kinds of projects I've worked on. I ended up having to spend the money and getting a much heavier duty welder. I bought a Miller 211 MIG welder which has never let me down. In fact, I'm about to head back down to the shop to weld three pieces of 1" plate for a lamp post base I'm fabricating. That would never happen with the lighter duty welder.

I learned this axiom many, many years ago: Buy it right the first time, and buy it ONCE. Cut corners on quality or capacity, and buy it TWICE (if you're lucky). I think that adage applies to both of your issues. If lighter duty suits your ULTIMATE needs - great. Just make sure you're considering 'ultimate' and not 'immediate'. They have a tendency to be different.

Regards,
Terry

I recommend an AC/DC tig/stick capable unit. This will give you the most flexibility for welding most all materials.

You can use tig on a variety of materials & get very high quality welds.

You will be able to weld aluminum w/ this configuration. The newer inverter type machines have a pulsing capability built in which is a must for aluminum tig welding & just makes it easier to do quality tig welds on all materials.

I have an older Lincoln SquareWave 175 which performs very well.

I suggest you look at Eastwood & some of their tutorials on tig welding before you purchase a welder. They have a lot of good info on welding in them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eastwood+tig+welding+aluminum

Good luck w/ your purchase!!

Couple of comments, Harry.

1. I agree with what just about everyone has suggested to you with regard to shop power. My shop is a converted pole barn that I enclosed and is about 100' from the house. It cost a little extra, but I put a 100 amp subpanel out there and had to run fairly heavy underground cable to feed it (6 gauge or heavier as I recall). But I can tell you, it was well worth the expense. I've NEVER overloaded my system or kicked a breaker - and I added a 3-phase converter out there. If you're not that far from your power supply, the cost won't be quite as high (but only some of your expense will be priced by the foot), and I promise you - you won't regret going ahead and biting the bullet now. My welder and other pieces of shop equipment run off of 30A breakers, so obviously my supply needs to be greater than that. As some others have noted, it's a real nuisance when you're in the middle of a project and discover you're underpowered.

2. With regard to a welder, keep in mind - you get what you pay for. My first welder was a fairly light duty Lincoln that ran off 110 power. It was given to me (by someone who upgraded - my, my) and, don't get me wrong, it was a nice welder for what it did. What I soon discovered, however, that more often than not, it was not sufficient for the kinds of projects I've worked on. I ended up having to spend the money and getting a much heavier duty welder. I bought a Miller 211 MIG welder which has never let me down. In fact, I'm about to head back down to the shop to weld three pieces of 1" plate for a lamp post base I'm fabricating. That would never happen with the lighter duty welder.

I learned this axiom many, many years ago: Buy it right the first time, and buy it ONCE. Cut corners on quality or capacity, and buy it TWICE (if you're lucky). I think that adage applies to both of your issues. If lighter duty suits your ULTIMATE needs - great. Just make sure you're considering 'ultimate' and not 'immediate'. They have a tendency to be different.

Regards,
Terry
Hey Terry,

I totally agreed with you philosophy on not cutting corners and my wife shares your philosophy also. So yes I will be look into getting something bigger than an 30 amp panel.

Thanks,
Harry

you seem to have most likely used a MIG.

Mark

i getting old and i sometimes forget where i put my beer but wouldn't you remember if you used to mig weld? things like that i always remember

Back