What Kind Of Steel Is Sucker Rod

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a bunch of oilfield 3/4 inch sucker rod cheap back in the 80's when the oilfield went belly up then, Still have 100's of feet of it (I have moved it three times now).
I use it for all sorts of things--some of it turns okay-some of it is junk.
Just wondering if anyone might know the grade of this stuff.

Last edited:
That's not an easy question to answer. Different applications require different materials. Different manufacturers use proprietary chemistries. The API (spec 11b) sets standards for size, shape and thread, etc., but there are wide variations otherwise. Unless you find some markings on what you have, it's a guess. Most are carbon or alloy steels, but some wells require more chemical resistance, and NACE standard are specified in addition to the API specs.

There is also a variation called a sinker bar, which is heavier than standard pump rod and serves to keep the string in tension. Those are more obvious.

John,

If the stuff is not too rusted up, the ends should have markings stamped on there that would indicate the grade of sucker rod. Some of the markings that may exists are as follows, "S-59", S-60, S-67, S-87 and or API "C", "K", "D", & high strength "D", as well as many other markings out there depending on the manufacture. Also, some manufactures mark the ends of the rod, where the thread is, with different identifying marks that are upsetted in the end when forging the ends of the sucker rod. Some of the end markings look like a Phillips screw driver slot, but shallow, a target, or maybe even a triangle. You just don't know. And as you said, the stuff you have there is more than likely 1970's vintage or earlier. It may have markings that are not used today by API. Never know. But there should be some kind of markings there that can tell you what you have. Post some close up pictures of the ends, we might be able to narrow the finding down to a specific grade. Ken

Even if you can't find the specifications from the markings I bet you have sorted or referenced the type that machines the best.

Have a good day

Ray

Would there be any markings on polish rod as well? I have a partial length that given to me. Was told it was chrome. I think it is a stainless steel. Files easy.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Could be stainless Jack. I was given one from out around Edson, pretty sour out there so they went stainless. Mine is tough stuff to machine, work hardens in an instant. Used it to make the V rollers on my plasma table, doubt I'll ever wear them out. Will try an remember to see if its magnetic but expect it is.

Greg

Got mine up in Redwater. It is magnetic. Very long small curly chips. Even harder to mill (dull bit maybe). Used only hss.
Jack

probably pretty similar material. When I bored the rollers for the bearings a brazed cardide boring bar would wear out almost instantly. Ended up using a carbide end mill as a boring bar, with one flute cutting it worked like a charm.

Greg

Hope this can be seen.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Back