What kind of decorative screw head would you use for this shelf

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am finishing up a bath remodel. I need to hang this shelf I bought at a garage sale. It is stainless, and was brand new but missing the mounting hardware. I paid $3 so it was a bargain.

I need to anchor this to the dry wall, so it has to be compatible. My molly screws and the plastic type as well, just come with some small head phillips. I would like a stainless screw, but something with a little more appeal. Got any ideas?

Also further down, I give you a hint on a better manly towel holder... :laughing: my wife hates it, but I had the normal towel holder.

20211205_114449.jpg

So my wife hates my towel bar holder... but I like it. I hate her round hoop, nothing annoys me more than having to fiddle with a wet towel and get it into that ring. So I went and bought a toilet paper holder. PERFECT.. I can just plop the towel onto it no problem, no fiddling... So a tool for cleaning up #2 has made me very happy.:laughing:

MINE HERS
20211205_114357.jpg20211205_114406.jpg

Self drilling stainless screws ? :)

Flat head sheet metal screws into plastic anchors? Lots of annoying security options there. You could put in a two pin spanner screw in there. You know, so no one will be able to disassemble it! <-- Don't do that! :)

Toggle bolts require a big hole, but, if I recall correctly, they use a standard machine screw. Lots of options for that.

Clickspring often uses steel screws that have been blued by heating them in brass filings
the color is electric blue and i think something similar would stand out against the brushed stainless

here is a video,
you can skip to about 8:35 to see the screws being blued

I would use these:

Clickspring often uses steel screws that have been blued by heating them in brass filings
the color is electric blue and i think something similar would stand out against the brushed stainless

here is a video,
you can skip to about 8:35 to see the screws being blued

I've watched Chris for years. He's quite the machinist / clock maker/ tool maker.

I second button head Allen’s. Can be had at big box stores too. Wanna go the extra step buff them on a wool bonnet and they will look chrome.

went to home desperate looking for options.. nothing but the standard stuff.
so about the issue. the hole in the frame is 1/4".. most of the hardware is #6 or #8 so very small for that hole.
I was surprised to see a whole line of #7 screws... I didn't know there were #7 screws.... Never heard of them.

I was looking for a #10 machine thread. I was also in the button head type allen or torx mind set for a nice look. So if I could find the right #10 machine thread it might work. I found a #10 but it was some odd hollow wall thing that required an extremely long 2 1/2 or 3" thread. I didn't like the holder so I rejected it. It was the only one with a machine thread... and I could replace the screw with the screw I was looking to use. But It was a one and done deal, so I would have to order the screws to install it.

I picked up a large size self screwing plastic screw. it uses a #10 sheet metal screw. I can probably find a SS version. If not a machine thread might work, I'll test it b4 hand. If not, I'll see what's on line... maybe I can find a molly in a #10.. all the mollys there were #6.

Back