What kind of aluminum do i have here?

davidh

Active User
Registered
i got a half dozen oxygen bottles from a breathing oxygen joint. great stuff to melt down for casting something i think. so, my crucible and furnace is not terribly big so i needed to cut these tanks /bottles into rings about 2=1/2" long, and they are about 4 inches in diameter and the wall thickness is a bit over 1/4" . that size is still to big so i figured i could squish them in a vice and they would split in half, giving me half circles.

they don't crack, they just bend and get kinda flat. . .

in the proces of squeezing them in a vice i noticed that they are quite springy when im trying to flatten them. . .

what the heck kind of aluminum can a guy bend that tight and not have it split ?

have any of you ever worked with this stuff before ? i'd like to know what i have.

thanks in advance.

davidh (the old guy)

Those make nice bells or wind chimes, I'd cut the bottoms out at different lengths and do that then maybe smelt the bottoms.

It can be determined by the markings, if they are still there. Older tanks were 6351-T6 and were subject to cracking, and since the late 80's most are made of 6061-T6. Look for a DOT-3AL or DOT-E 7235 stamping. Most manufacturers discontinued using 6351 around 1990.

Man 42 You're killing me O2 Tanks cost me A Fortune Man. I live in an Apt surrounded by Cranky OLD PHARTS, that like to call the office and complain every time my Phoe Rings after 7:00 :) so air compressors are OUT of the Question and I fill them at the local Quick Trip (free air) or Co2 at the welding supply, depending on the Paint I'm airbrushing with (lacquers DEMAND Co2)

Rick,
I believe they have a service life in med applications, so if you hook up with a O[SUB]2 [/SUB]supplier like a home health care outfit, you might score some for free. Or if you want to pursue it, the paintball nuts use a carbon fiber wrapped tank that (if regulated down) would run a CO[SUB]2 [/SUB]applicator for a long, long time for little money.

Back