What kind of accuracy can one expect from older Starrett tools?

Fascinating story, TM, thanks for sharing. You seemed to have found your passion early in life and have clearly maintained it. Around here, you're preaching to the choir because we'll just about all agree with you.

I would raise one point, however, and that is that the world has changed. Nowadays, kids DO need tech to succeed. You do not need to know how a phone or computer is made in order to use it and modern kids in today's job market are at a disadvantage if they can't use them. How something is made is of no concern to many of them as long as it works. If you want to work for Google or Facebook or somewhere in the tech industry then you best know how to work with tech or you cannot compete. And you're right. A factory had to build those phones or computers but it took a geek with a computer to design the thing that had to be made by that factory so ...

I recently visited the NASA campus and met some amazing young people there. These are the ultimate tech geeks who not only fully utilize tech stuff but they also use it to build some of the most amazing devices - lunar and Mars rovers, etc. Their 3-D lab has a Bridgeport sitting right next to two 3-D printers. One of their engineers designed and built, BUILT, the miniature lithium batteries that go into a GPS tracker that is strapped to the back of an endangered bird to better understand their movements. I saw so many examples of amazing tech that they built that I can't remember them all. And it was mostly done by young tech heads with a passion for innovation that left me almost speechless.

The way I see it, manufacturing and tech go hand in hand. One builds what the other designs and innovates. Neither can do without the other, and the world is what it is because of this.

Tech and manufacturing must depend on each other, not make one subjugate as demeaning, coarse or common. With say, Garmin as example, both those parties are incredibly successful. STEM education channels too many where they'll not be fulfilled, satisfied as employees.
It's not that they all need know how something is made.
The economy isn't protected by endless developers, and they aren't all going to be hired into tech straight out. Hands on captivates a portion, generating durable goods; battalions of developers can't deliver product.

That way, far more people are employed. I'd say world hasn't changed in reality.
What has happened though; a couple desks, PC's and printers in a rented office pass for an operative business.
Real business is capital investment, real estate, buying materials, shipping products, holding patents, inventory, subcontractors etc.
The income and dispersal of one is very short, the other entirely circular nigh impossible to detect how long it is.

Real business is capital investment, real estate, buying materials, shipping products, holding patents, inventory, subcontractors etc.

Hmmm, Google is the #1 world ranked tech business worth $245 Billion and the vast majority of their product is information. Not everything is about material goods anymore and the world economy would totally collapse were it not for computers, the internet and tech companies. The world has changed from the one we grew up with and worked in and the reality is that we either keep up or get left behind.

So, tomorrow google goes under. Same day as GM.
Which auction are is going to get a bigger turnout?

Probably GM, because the kind of money it would require to acquire Google's assets would be in the billions. Not too many common folk would be there.

Look, the top ten most valuable companies in the world are either tech companies, retailers or investment houses. It isn't until you get to #10, Exxon Mobile, that you find a company that is actually based in manufacturing. The #1 most valuable company in the world is Apple and their products are made in China, with some components made in other countries. This is now a global economy and the old model of doing business has changed. I'm not saying that the skills and equipment required for manufacturing are not important. I am saying that real businesses today do not look like the businesses of yesterday, and that is the reality.

Seeing as how this has gone seriously off-topic already, this was my grandfather's mechanical pencil. Circa 1930.
He was not a draughtsman but rather an officer of a political party. There's still a bit of lead in it -- good Bohemian graphite 0.045" diameter -- although my grandfather died in the 1950's already.

-frank

View attachment 278319
View attachment 278320
View attachment 278321
That is one beautiful pencil, I'm and engraver and its just cool. Both my grandfather and father always had two mechanical pencils and a pad of paper in their pocket. I am proud to say it is a habit I have picked up. Yep, I learned to draw on paper and pencil. Orthographic projection views and all, hand lettering and arrowheads. I have and use Fusion 360 but to be honest for small jobs I break out my portable drafting board and Rotring pencils and whip out a drawing I can hang on a clip at the machine and go to work. Does this mean I'm old?

Thanks, and yes I like it too although it's not something I carry around with me.
Yeah I still draw on paper with pencil but I have to say I love my AutoCAD as well. Maybe it's not so much about being old, but rather being blessed to have been able to experience both worlds. Not everyone will be able to say that.

-frank

Thanks, and yes I like it too although it's not something I carry around with me.
Yeah I still draw on paper with pencil but I have to say I love my AutoCAD as well. Maybe it's not so much about being old, but rather being blessed to have been able to experience both worlds. Not everyone will be able to say that.

-frank
Agreed, I sure like the technology of being able to see my parts interact in 3d and the ease with which you can change things in CAD. I also just like the feel of pencil on paper. Best of both worlds, well said

Not everyone will be able to say that.

I envy you guys. I truly wish I didn't suck at CAD but I do. I'm stuck with pencil and paper, hence my envy. I do, however, have the Parking Lot gene and my luck at finding a spot right in front of where I want to go is unnatural. Balances things nicely!

I envy you guys. I truly wish I didn't suck at CAD but I do. I'm stuck with pencil and paper, hence my envy. I do, however, have the Parking Lot gene and my luck at finding a spot right in front of where I want to go is unnatural. Balances things nicely!
I taught myself CAD and Im not all that good at it. If you use Fusion 360 (which is free for guys like us) there a a bunch of tutorials on YouTube that I used. The series from Titans of CNC is pretty good and gives you a regular drawing to work from. It just takes some time but if you stick with it a bit you will do OK. Like I said I still go with paper and pencil for simple stuff so if that works for you what the heck

I'm like TakeDeadAim, I taught myself SolidWorks about 15 years ago, and have tried to stay current. It's what I use for complex projects. Most of the time, it's pencil and paper that gets me through my bench projects.

I first took drafting in the 7th grade, and took mechanical drawing in college (T-square and angles still). It's faster in a lot of ways, but the time savings breaks even with CAD as complexity goes up. Technical drawing is going to be a lost art someday; probably sooner than later. I'm probably too young to be lamenting, but then again I'm the one running around the office wearing Red Kap industrial shirts with a drafting pencil in my pocket.

Back