What job did you do today in your shop?

Started pulling together parts for a post-compressor head air cooler and water separator so I can reduce the amount of water going into my compressor tank.
Derale 16-pass transmission cooler and a bunch of 3/8 compression fittings and copper tube.
98ef280cb847796156f432008cfbb89d.jpg
Please keep us posted on this project as I have several of these condensers from car A/C systems I could utilize for a project such as this.
I take it this will be between the compressor and the tank?

The A/C condenser would be a good, inexpensive route to go, and yes on the location. Due to our climate I have no real water issues with my compressors, and have never seen anything in the filter built into my plasma unit. May eventually put something in when I finish up the multi compressor room. Mike

in your picture, witch is the input side, the one with the filter?

My son Dan, is getting his 1969 Triumph GT6 ready for the race track this season. After an engine refresh this winter and concern about the oil pressure dropping in hard left hand turns, he decided to put in a device called an AccuSump. This is a chamber with a movable piston. One side of the piston is charged with compressed air the other side is a reservoir that is filled with engine oil. Before you start your engine, you open a valve allowing the pressurized oil in the chamber to pressurize the oil system in the engine to pre oil the engine. Once the engine starts the oil pump then refills the AccuSump and the valve stays open as long as you are running the engine. If the oil pump starves for oil while on the track, the air in the AccuSump will provide oil under pressure to the engine until the oil pump can again pick up oil. We have a baffle system in the oil pan that is supposed to prevent the oil from moving away from the oil pickup during acceleration, braking and left and right turns. During the refresh this winter Dan noticed a flaw in our design the would allow oil to shift away from the pickup in left hand turns and he modified the baffle system to remedy the problem. He still decided that the insurance of an AccuSump system is a lot less expensive than a catastrophic engine failure. Especially when he's running his engine up to 8500-8700 RPMs!

Anyway, to mount the AccuSump, I made custom brackets on my Bridgeport CNC
image5.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegand engraved our team logo in them.

Just like an accumulator in a hydraulic system. It will also dampen any pulsations in the oil pressure.

Nice work!

Today I started the process of replacing the clutch and pressure plate on a 1930 Model A. I got the engine ready to be pulled.
Be sure to check the bushings and shafts for the clutch linkage while you are in there. Also the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing.

Be sure to check the bushings and shafts for the clutch linkage while you are in there. Also the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing.

Thank you for the reminder on the bushings and pilot and throw out bearings.

Do you have a Model A by chance?

My son Dan, is getting his 1969 Triumph GT6 ready for the race track this season. After an engine refresh this winter and concern about the oil pressure dropping in hard left hand turns, he decided to put in a device called an AccuSump. This is a chamber with a movable piston. One side of the piston is charged with compressed air the other side is a reservoir that is filled with engine oil. Before you start your engine, you open a valve allowing the pressurized oil in the chamber to pressurize the oil system in the engine to pre oil the engine. Once the engine starts the oil pump then refills the AccuSump and the valve stays open as long as you are running the engine. If the oil pump starves for oil while on the track, the air in the AccuSump will provide oil under pressure to the engine until the oil pump can again pick up oil. We have a baffle system in the oil pan that is supposed to prevent the oil from moving away from the oil pickup during acceleration, braking and left and right turns. During the refresh this winter Dan noticed a flaw in our design the would allow oil to shift away from the pickup in left hand turns and he modified the baffle system to remedy the problem. He still decided that the insurance of an AccuSump system is a lot less expensive than a catastrophic engine failure. Especially when he's running his engine up to 8500-8700 RPMs!

Anyway, to mount the AccuSump, I made custom brackets on my Bridgeport CNC
View attachment 487456View attachment 487454View attachment 487455and engraved our team logo in them.

Those things are lifesavers.

One time at Sears Point my friend Rochelle was driving the GT6 and her husband Dick hadn't tightened the oil sump drain plug tight enough. She came around the last corner before pit in and went sideways, corrected, corrected again and finally got it pointed in the right direction and shut down the motor. As she coasted in the car just puked out all the rest of it's oil. Fortunately they had an an AccuSump and the engine wasn't hurt. Could have been very bad as this car had a fully built GT3 class motor.

John

That's standard on any clutch job. Pilots are cheap, throw out bearings get abused if you leave it in gear at stop lights.
Thats a driver not brought up driving a stick and using the clutch to shift.

Back