What is this?

BTW that's sitting on a drawer front of a cabinet I am refinishing for myself. It was painted. People paint the most beautiful wood. That's after a dark stain to pop the grain and shellac. Nice right?

That reminds me of when I was in the Armored Cavalry in Fort Polk. Our sergeant major took the door off of his office. He brought it home, stripped off the paint, sanded it down, and stained and finished it. Then he took it back and proudly rehung it.

The next day he came in and somebody said to him, "Hey Sergeant-Major, look. I painted your door red and white - the cavalry colors!".

I was glad I wasn't that guy.

Tapered pins are getting harder to find too. Not to many years ago assortment of sizes could be had at fair prices. There going up now and tuffer to get in an assortment.
I have some selective sizes in no. 1's, 2's, and 3's that are about 3" long that I bought almost 40 years ago when you could get them cheap. They have been handy over the years. After I install one, take a hack saw and cut off the excess. If the excess is 3/4" or longer, it goes back in the assortment for later use. I have reamers of the three different types from 7/0 to around no. 6. I have no need for any of the larger ones even though I've used them a few in my earlier years of work.

Back