What is this Tilting Bench Center used for?

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey Folks-

I'm hoping for some help identifying this bench center. I'm probably already wrong just saying that!

It tilts, and is meant to be mounted to something. It is stamped "RSW 1" underneath.

Without the centers themselves, it measures about 8 inches across, so these pics show it at about a foot or so with the centers extended out.

The only indicating mark is at what I would call 0 degrees, parallel to the mounting surface.

9utynuju.jpg

uruna4yq.jpg

tunahasy.jpg

agy3y9y2.jpg

Bernie

The only thing I can think of is comparing tapers. But I know I'm wrong :dunno:

The round knob on the back with the tommy bar is for locking the movement of the centers rotationly?
And the side bolt is a clamping device to afix the tool on another machine?, note the square notch for sliding it onto the "platform"?

I have a similar device on my comparitor but it is a two piece affair mounted on the sliding stage mount.

part of an Aamco shaper? haha jk.

Hah hah hah! Forgive me Tom- I am going to deal with the machines this weekend for the first time since we wrote... You had me there for a second!!! Hah ha hah!

Bernie

The round knob on the back with the tommy bar is for locking the movement of the centers rotationly?
And the side bolt is a clamping device to afix the tool on another machine?, note the square notch for sliding it onto the "platform"?

I have a similar device on my comparitor but it is a two piece affair mounted on the sliding stage mount.

Thanks Cactus man!

You are correct in all your observations- the small knob on the side is definitely not meant for handling machining forces.

Bernie

Back