What is this thing

Yes it Does, and all yours for just 6 low payments of 29.99 but wait, act now and you will receive some useless swarf and a can of unidentifiable hazardous smelling liquid, Hurry, don't delay order now.

I tried looking up the English printing of that year 1955 first addition PM. I found a copy 290 something pages on line and scrolled through it. First I noticed the English version had a different cover' second the article was not in that particular issue. I noticed this with other publications as well. Same publication different markets different content.

Looks like its for a router (wood working).
Any name on it?

Looks like pontiac gets the win... Nice going...
Hi woodchucker, That was mi first thought that it was for a router then I thought maybe something for the miter slot in the table saw. Hope your tooth gets fixed soon.

I am going to guess that the originals were published before the translations. They took the time to do the whole article. They probably selected a few each month and assembled a Spanish publication. The google trove of PM magazines is searchable, if you have the right terms. In this case, the author, Walter E. Burton, may be the key to locating it in English. It may have come from Popular Science or Popular Mechanics as well. I have a robust collection of the late 1930's through the 1960's in a rubbermaid tote buried somewhere. Those old magazines are deep rabbitholes for us shop types...

Good thoughts, ill play with it and see what I can find, if I do run across it I'll repost. I looked on my shelf and have about 15 or so copies of pm I purchased at a flea market that range from 1939-1960 My wife saw them one day My new wife Jane and said why don't you get rid of those old things. I told her that was a deal breaker. She never asked about them again. LOL. She learned quickly that some things are better left alone. There is a mountain of Gold in them tharr piles of paper along with some great windows into the past.

Also as a FYI look up https://www.gutenberg.org/ I found this site years ago, its huge. Its a free access site and with a little digging you can find original books and manuscripts on just about anything. There is stuff on machining that goes back to almost the invention of the wheel, ok maybe not that far back but the beginning of the mechanical /industrial age. Worth taking the time to check it out.....Just a thought.

I'm thinking of making an OA torch version. Looks more stable and potentially precise.
Yes, I know CNC plasma is the current rage.
Thanks for the improved print! I don't know Spanish. But a print reads the same in all languages.

Daryl
MN

Hi woodchucker, That was mi first thought that it was for a router then I thought maybe something for the miter slot in the table saw. Hope your tooth gets fixed soon.
I don't have a broken tooth. That's Brento...

I'm thinking of making an OA torch version. Looks more stable and potentially precise.
Yes, I know CNC plasma is the current rage.
Thanks for the improved print! I don't know Spanish. But a print reads the same in all languages.

Daryl
MN
Good luck with your build just as a thought you might want to mock this thing up in wood full scale to your needs. its so much easier to move holes add or subtract material. once you got the bugs worked out and it fits your needs then make it out of metal. Don't forget to come back and show us what you built.

Back