What is this thing for?

Charlie51566

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,

I’m just getting into machining and don’t have any previous experience. I just bought an old southbend 9A and I’m doing a restoration on it. I figured it would be good to take it apart and see how everything works to learn about it. I’m trying to figure out the purpose of one of the accessories that came with the lathe. I assume it goes on the spindle but not sure why! (In the photo, it’s the circular disc with the notch cutout to the right of the steady rest)

Attachments

• 142794E5-B345-408E-B531-EF4CB3D37C4E.jpeg
    142794E5-B345-408E-B531-EF4CB3D37C4E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 103
That is a drive plate, used for driving dogs (like the special clamp style dog just above the plate in the photo) when turning between centers. I use them often, but some folks never use them at all. It's better to have than not to!

Have you read the South Bend manual, How to Run a Lathe yet? That should establish the foundation basics for you and give you the starting point to turn metal stuff into parts on the lathe.

And welcome to the forum!

Hey there...... we’ve all been there so don’t worry about asking your questions here. It’s a drive plate. The notch is for the “J” shaped piece in the picture just above it which is a “drive dog”..... someone will likely correct me on the exact name. Look up on youtube face plate turning or lathe dogs and you’ll see the stuff in action. Good luck.

Cheers

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Charlie!

Welcome aboard!
You and I can learn together.
At least you got some goodies with your 9A, A whole lot more than I did!!
What model 9A is it?
I am also doing a restoration on one, an under motor drive unit.
How about a snapshot or two of yours?

Back