What is this tapper thing?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Somebody is trying to sell this power tapper thing and I’m wondering how it’s used and if it’s useful?

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 38
That's a tapping head for power tapping holes. It goes in the spindle of a drill press and a rod coming out of the side keeps the bode from turning as the spindle turns. The spindle in the tapping head turns with the spindle of the drill press. when downward pressure is applied, the tap in the head will tap a hole in the work piece. When upward pressure is applied the spindle in the tapping head reverses and the tap backs out of the work piece. It does require the right style of tap in order to work properly. It is also more of a production tapping type of tool.

Richard

What Richard said,but.......funny enough,when you just scan over it quickly,it looks like some kind of granade :D .

That's a tapping head for power tapping holes. It goes in the spindle of a drill press and a rod coming out of the side keeps the bode from turning as the spindle turns. The spindle in the tapping head turns with the spindle of the drill press. when downward pressure is applied, the tap in the head will tap a hole in the work piece. When upward pressure is applied the spindle in the tapping head reverses and the tap backs out of the work piece. It does require the right style of tap in order to work properly. It is also more of a production tapping type of tool.

Richard
I don't think there is a rod coming out the side.
you grab the top or bottom to tap, and release it to stop. On that one, I believe you still pull the bottom shaft out to reverse.
I have the screw driver version, that I modified to make a tapper.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a rod coming out the side.
you grab the top or bottom to tap, and release it to stop. On that one, I believe you still pull the bottom shaft out to reverse.
I have the screw driver version, that I modified to make a tapper.

If you look at the picture there is a rod under the wrench and a bracket on the end of the tapping head with a hole for the rod. I let the rod bump against the column of the drill press. This allows me to feed with one hand and position the work piece with the other. Just my method.

Richard

I remember seeing tose made for screw driving, it looks to me that the one shown is made to tap using an electric drill as well as a drill press.

Back