What Is This Part?

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
I recently put together a lathe that I bought last year. It's a 9A. Among the parts I found the item pictured below. The nut on the bottom is obviously for the cross slide slot. I thought maybe it was some kind of rigid holder for a parting tool. However I discovered that the allen screws on the side do not tighten it closed. They push against the pins in the other half to open it. I'm stumped. It's 1 1/2" high, 2" long, and 3" wide.

Charles

part1.jpg

part3.jpg

part2.jpg

part1.jpg part3.jpg part2.jpg

The movable jaw for a little vice attachment?:shrugs:

You have the best jaw at least, that's a bonus, the fixed jaw is the easy one to make..!:))

I recently put together a lathe that I bought last year. It's a 9A. Among the parts I found the item pictured below. The nut on the bottom is obviously for the cross slide slot. I thought maybe it was some kind of rigid holder for a parting tool. However I discovered that the allen screws on the side do not tighten it closed. They push against the pins in the other half to open it. I'm stumped. It's 1 1/2" high, 2" long, and 3" wide.

Charles

View attachment 81571

View attachment 81572

View attachment 81573

I am trying to find where to buy one of those. I been looking for months. It is half a table vise for a milling machine table. It mounts in the slot and there is a non adjustable one to mount opposite it. You can clamp any length that will fit on the table. I can find big ones but not that size. I've been looking on the net and ebay but can't find one. does it say who made it?

Mark

I can tell you exactly what it is, I have one just like it, it is a vise jaw off a Sears, X-Y drill press vise.

Not sure of the maker on yours? But, Palmgren/Craftsman sold a X Y station (some were rotary also) that came with a set of said jaws. It was two of them, one was fixed the other was adjustable so you could wrench down on your part. The jaws did not work out very well, cumbersome to use, poor holding power and all of that. They were quickly tossed and replaced with a standard vise.

Thanks for the information. Now that I see how it functions I'm sure that I'll have a use for it sooner or later.

Charles

Back