What is this for?

geckocycles

Active User
Registered
On the end of my LeBlond. Doesn't bolt to anything and slides freely.

I see the manual says it is a support. So here I go "assuming" how it is used. LOL Boy that word can really get you in trouble!!

I have a 15x54 regal

leblond attachement.jpg

Last edited:
Just a guess, It looks like a fixed stop that you put on the bed to stop the carrage from getting in too close to the chuck. (lifesaver) If it can unbolt and pass to the right side of the carrage, it would be good to stop bumping the tailstock when returning for the next pass.

This is what I got from the Leblond user group.

"It is simply a support so that the end bearings don't get excessive wear from the sagging weight of the screw and feed rod. The operator should keep it approximately centered between the carriage and the end of the machine.
Also, keep a bit of oil in the bore of it."

geckocycles,
If your lathe is kind of long, I would agree with the LeBlond user group. Can you tell if it is (or was) in contact with the two shafts? Which end is it on?

The much longer lathes had one of these latched onto each side of the apron (and as many as necessary according to length). Whenever the leeward side of apron would pass a predetermined mid-point, it would pass over a raised button in the side of the frame which would disengage that support from the carriage to let it remain there supporting the shafts. Upon returning toward the headstock, the apron would 'recollect' the support. If there was a supprt on the other side, it would do the same thing at some midway distance from the tailstock.
If that IS what it is, I don't know why you would only have one unless the apron's own width counts for adequate support while at one extreme end.
Dave

Back