What is this bar on my mill?

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
I am getting ready to mount DRO's on my mill and I found a large bar on the right side just below the table but dont know what it is for. I took it off and found the knee has 3 holes in it but this only uses 2 of them. My only thought is it for strengthening the knee somehow? It is a solid bar that has nothing connecting to it. Any reason I can attach my DRO to it?20121107_161022.jpg20121107_161037.jpg

20121107_161022.jpg 20121107_161037.jpg

Someone added that for whatever reason, it has nothing to do with strengthening the knee. You can use it to mount the scale if you want, but it will probably just cause problems when you try to level the scale.

I agree on it being leftover from a previous DRO mount - or maybe the start of one...

I am getting ready to mount DRO's on my mill and I found a large bar on the right side just below the table but dont know what it is for. I took it off and found the knee has 3 holes in it but this only uses 2 of them. My only thought is it for strengthening the knee somehow? It is a solid bar that has nothing connecting to it. Any reason I can attach my DRO to it?View attachment 42148View attachment 42149
pontiac--if you go to the website for the ''dropros''--you will find many many many excellent photos as to installing dros on bridgeport and other types of mills and lathes. that's where i ''stole'' my ideas . i have inserted pics of my mill and y--axis --install;hope this explains what the ''bar'' is for on side of your mill. just my $.02 --re steve in mt.

DSCN1438.JPG DSCN1437.JPG DSCN1434.JPG DSCN1446.JPG DSCN1433.JPG DSCN1435.JPG

If you're mill came from south Louisiana, it might be a sacrificial anode.
Just kidding, I haven't a clue.
Patrick

thanks for the ideas and replies. Just wanted to make sure I didnt remove something that might have been engineered into the design. smallfly I like your mounting setup, looks like you spent some time in getting it built! I am going to be using the Igauge cheap DROs so my mounting probably wont to be elaborate.

If that's a steel bar, it could have been for a Trav-a-dial, a predecessor to the DRO.

Bob

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Smallfly I see you have one of the magnetic DROs from DRO Pros. Can you tell us your opinions on that DRO???

Back