What is this adapter that came in my lathe's toolbox?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
MT3 on the inside.... outside taper unknown. Came in the red toolbox with my 1440 - what is it?

22-02-12 09-14-58 6989.jpg

Ah ha! That explains how I'm going to align things. Thank you!

You might want to check it but the adapter on my lathe has a sweet spot, depending on where it's oriented. You can have .005" of runout in 1 place and as little as .0001' in the sweet spot.

Lathes of your size have morse taper 5 tapers on the spindle. As seasicksteve said, its for a center in your spindle, or to use an mt3 drill or tool in a morse taper 5 machine. Had a lot of them at work for drilling "small" 3/4" holes on a absolutely massive radial arm drill

If you cut your own center in whatever chuck you want to use, it will be centered with lathe until you remove it.

If your making your own center it probably wouldn't be carbide tipped. Now trying to recut a factory center that could be true.

Generally, the center for the headstock is left soft, so it can easily be recut to run true, these centers usually have a shallow ring cut near the 60 degree point so that they may be distingushed from the hard tailstock center.

I have a “soft center” that I grab in the chuck and true it when I need it I can count on One hand how many times I have used the bushing and a center

Back