What is the correct type of fire extinguisher for metal dust fires?

Thanks John,
Your answers are always a pleasure to read.
I Take safety a little overboard, but I am responsible for what occurs in my basement shop. The family always comes first , to make sure all is safe is one of my primary responsibly's in life.
I thank you for that deliberate "bite the bullet" phrase that was in your t
reply.
I will get one, probably by the weekend.
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason that Class D extinguishers are more expensive is that metal fires, such as magnesium, burn so hot that they will strip oxygen from any molecule that has some. CO[SUB]2[/SUB] will put out A, B or C fires, but magnesium will pull the oxygen off and combine with it. Same with the oxygen in water. Spray water on a Volkswagen engine fire and it will burn faster.

I remember seeing a video on youtube showing magnesium shavings burning inside a block of dry ice (solid CO2). When the reaction was done, they opened the thing up, and on the inside was a bunch of white powder (magnesium dioxide), and a bunch of black powder (pure carbon). One of the most impressive things I have ever seen.

Getting back to the original post. If you get one, make sure you are familiar with it's operation; don't want to start learning when things count ;)

Back