What is the BEST brand of layout die?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What is the best brand of layout fluid to use?

"Ultra Blue Layout Die" made by SprayOn doesn't spray or cover evenly so you have to keep coating the part which leads to too much build up. Then when you scribe your lines you don't get a clean fine line, it almost like flakes as you scribe and you get a wider than you want scribe line.

What about Beechem layout fluid, which is kind of expensive?
What about Dykem purple color? Should I get spray or brush on?
What about a large tip black or blue felt pen?

Which do you guys prefer and HOW do you use it?

When your layout die gets thick and takes forever to dry, do you dilute it with a little denatured alcohol?

Thanks!

Nelson

Dykem only. Blue only. Spray and brush. I rarely use dye. I've trued a few "store brands" in the past, but never liked them.
Odd application: I worked in a screw house back in the 70's for a bit. We used Dykem green to dip ground screws for a GE air conditioner plant here. By the thousands. Dipped a large tea strainer in a bucket, shooj it off and dumped them on an old window screen to dry.

For a quicky, I use a large Marks-a-Lot black if I need to see if something is rubbing.

A long time ago, a tool and die guy showed me a poor man's edge finder. He took a 0.5000 x 3" dowel pin and blued it and used it in a collet. Rub the blue off and you are 0.250 off the edge. I have plenty of real edge finders, but once in a while, the standard reach isn't quite enough, so I get a long dowel and blue it.

Thinning is with alcohol, as mentioned. Removal is with Acetone or Toluene. Never let the dye get hot, like near grinding or welding. It's tough to remove.

Sharpie Permanent markers. Go on dry, do not mess up other things and works really well.

Walter

Dykem blue, brush top can for lay out. I like black or red magic markers for fitting parts, easy to apply and rubs off easy revealing where to fit. The magic marker removes easy with common bore cleaners, Hoppe's, ect.
Bobby

Back