What is Scraping?

No problem, Brook. Richard has a nice DVD, and anyone interested, or thinks they are, should get a copy. It is a great introductory video where he gives excellent advice and demonstrates several techniques used in scraping. I recommend it. Contact him via PM if you need details on how to acquire a copy.

Thanks Tony....

Brook, I have taught 2 classes in Oakland over the past 3 years hosted by D H Mayeron who is a Blacksmith and small shop machinist, I saw him over Thanks Giving as his Mom lives in St. Paul. We spoke of doing another class out there in the spring. PM me and I'll give you his info.

Just a note: I had always thought a Blacksmith shoe'd horses until he informed me a Blacksmith use's a forge to make metal parts and a Farrier shoe's horses. The Blacksmith's get upset when you ask if they shoe horses...LOL

Hi Richard,

I'm located in Berkeley, and I'm pretty sure I'd jump at the chance to take a class like yours, especially when it's close enough to ride my bike to. My Atlas cross slide could use some attention at some point.

I can email D H Mayeron as a heads-up of my interest, but do you post class notifications here or anywhere else?

Spring should be lovely here if you choose to make the trip again.

-Ryan

I might be interested in the class as well, depending on the date and time. I have done some scraping at home based on reading/watching videos, but it would be nice to see somebody who knows what they are doing in real life ;)

I live in Pine Mountain GA and would like to attend a class in S.E. There does not seem to be a lot of interest in this area. We had shot last year in B'ham but could not fill the class. I would be willing to host one, maybe 2013?

I live in Pine Mountain GA and would like to attend a class in S.E. There does not seem to be a lot of interest in this area. We had shot last year in B'ham but could not fill the class. I would be willing to host one, maybe 2013?

That seems to be the biggest issue, finding enough students. It is also difficult for me to organize everything by myself. That's why a host ets the class for free as he has to help email everyone with updates. The Bay Area host told me this time when we get enough people he wants everyone to send non refundable 1/2 payment. I've been talking to a guy in NC about doing a class and told him, if you consider we can rebuild or do a partial rebuild of some of your machine parts you would be saving money if you had to hire a pro to do it. GA would be a good place to hold a class too, in February of Mach...when it's -20 below here in MN...ha ha. Or in the fall....the heat down south in the summer is not my cup of tea...

People need to tell us when a good time would be good for them. I need at least 6 - 5 day students and a few part time students to make it fly.

I could travel to NC . Maybe we can get that to work? On hosting one here, Feb, Mar, Apr would be good. I have nice shop, lots of work table space, wood stove heat, no air conditioning, 4x3 surface plate.

Sure, GA would be super!

We could call it The first annual SE USA Hobby Machinist Machine Repair Seminar and donate part of our fee to the forum?

It is a cram course as one former student said it's like trying to get a drink from a fire hose....ha ha.....I don't want to waste a minute and be sure my "kids" (students) get everything they need to succeed in their rebuilding life. I am booked up now until March or April, but it takes a while to spread the word. Send me an email: Richard@Handscraping.com and I'll send you some info. Thanks Rich
Below are some pic's from
the Ashland WI class Vancouver Canada Class Indianapoils Class
DSC01110Ashland class .JPGDSC01116Ashland class .JPGCarr's.2Canada Class (5).JPGDSC01098Indiana class .JPG

DSC01110Ashland class .JPG DSC01098Indiana class .JPG Carr's.2Canada Class (5).JPG DSC01116Ashland class .JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
I am in north Georgia and would also be interested in taking the class if it is offered somewhere in the southeast. I actually signed up for the Alabama class when it was offered, but as it has already been said there wasn't enough interest. As far as the schedule goes I can make it work, so any time during 2013 would be ok with me.

Craig

Guys,
I am in north Georgia and would also be interested in taking the class if it is offered somewhere in the southeast. I actually signed up for the Alabama class when it was offered, but as it has already been said there wasn't enough interest. As far as the schedule goes I can make it work, so any time during 2013 would be ok with me.

Craig

Have teacher will travel :) You southern guys, lets do it. We need to figure out how many days everyone wants to do. The longer the seminar the better. The picture's in a garage shows a 2 day, 24 hour class we had in Ashland, WI. I drove up Friday night and stayed at the Host's house and we started the class on a Sat Morning at 7AM and did a 12 hour day. It was a cram class, but I feel a 3 to 5 day class is better. As you can bring along a personal project or help one of the other guys project which could consist of a lathe compound, lathe cross-slide, small lathe bed, straight-edge, angle block, etc. If you have to PM each other, decide who can host and when. Then let me know. Remember the host's are free, but they have to supply the place, heat, supply the elec, help with building benches, help organize, help figure out hotels, etc.
I am booked up now until the end of Feb, but after that I can do anytime. Maybe a long weekend holiday? You decide and we will go for it.
Thank You for your help and I guarantee you will know how to repair / scrape / level your machines and have the confidence after the class.
Tadd a past student has been writing in a couple of these posts about his training. I can also send links to other sites talking about past classes. See you at the class. Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back