What is needed to start, building a beginner complete 3D Printer package?

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking at getting a printer.

This also can be considered as a "Christmas package", not for us, but we think others may be interested in getting a package for themselves or others, a Christmas gift, this could help others,

Spent some time searching and reading, but there does not seem to be a single thread with everything in one place.

The Ender units seem to have good things stated, but slicer software?

I assume that takes some CAD drawing to slice it into the print layers.

We have TurboCad and have used AutoCad, and we understand there may be Autocad products that are available as well.

There are different opinions on the different versions of everything.

We are looking at the lower but not bottom end in printers. The Ender line looks okay, but there are many, but what has reliable life and support?

Many different slicers, some may already have the printer as a preset that can be optimized, others need everything done manually, and what comes with the machine?

Cad software, what is already matched to the slicer software?

Support after the sale, replacement parts, upgrades, tech support when it does not seem to work, different materials...

What else does one need to know?

The used market... many things on auction sites, they are there for a reason, are there things to look for or better just buying new for first one?

The items to be printed will be replaceable jaws for a clock spring winder we are building, current is plexiglass that is milled, printing would be easier once a master is created it would be simple to change the interface part.

58a7d66025e6fce55a8d3479dbe9556e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Creality or Anycubic printers are a good start, imo. I think a lot of the criticism of Enders comes from earlier - they've gotten easier and more bullet proof. There are better printers, but they are substantially more money.

Slicers: slicers are mostly free (there are a few paid options, but I think the free ones are better) and the two most popular are Cura and Prusaslicer. You can use either or both with the aforementioned printers and most major brands will have a pre-set already in the slicer. What comes with the machine will be instructions to download one of those two (usually), or something like "Creality Slicer" (I might have the name wrong) which is based on an older version of Cura. You're much better off dumping it and getting the current Cura release (for free).

Every CAD program that can export an STL or 3MF file is compatible with a slicer. I like Alibre Design. The "free" version of (Autodesk) Fusion 360 is very popular. I haven't used TurboCAD 3D in years, but I suspect any current version would export STLs.

Support after the sale: I don't really know. I've never needed it. Probably not great for any of the lower-end printers. However, there's lots of peer-produced support online. There's a learning curve. If you get lucky, everything "just works" for a while before you have to troubleshoot. There is an excellent book that I commend to you called "3D Print Failures" by Sean Aranda. It's organization could use some improvement, but it's got more good information about slicing and printing than any one other resource I've found. In addition to 'peer support' there is a vast array of spare parts and part upgrades available for most printers. I'd warn you about silk purses and sow's ears though - you could buy a cheap printer and then sink enough into it that you could have bought a high-end printer if you get carried away. I don't really recommend a lot of upgrades to an inexpensive printer. My Ender3 has no upgrades, I upgraded the bed on my Anycubic and half regret it.

Materials are interchangeable. You can use any manufacturer's filaments. I've seen very little difference in the known brands, especially with PLA: Prusa, Creality, Sunloo (what I use most), Bambu Labs, Polymaker, Anycubic. They've all worked well for me. I've heard that some of the unknown brands can be wound poorly such that they bind up and starve the printer, but the cost difference is so small that I haven't even bothered trying to find out.

I'd probably stay away from used printers, at least until you have more experience. Lower end printers are pretty inexpensive these days and you could at least return something that's a complete dud. I purchase my printers from Amazon or the manufacturer. Amazon has an excellent return policy, and the manufacturer is likely to treat you well too.

HTH,

GsT

My flow has been create the CAD drawing in Fusion360, and then export the STL file.
The Cura slicer that came with my printer (but is also free) then uses the STL file and drives the printer.

Brian

I would highly recommend Tiny Machines as dealer, they carry many brands and their support is over the top. I purchased a Creality printer from them and have been very happy, they set up the printer, test then ship it to you ready to go.

WOW, i was just getting ready to post almost the same thing, i will follow yours instead.

to add a couple, if that is ok? If not i can delete this...

*** How many rolls of filament and type would a person get during the initial purchase of the pinter?

*** What plates to get extra? Smooth, textured, etc.

*** What nozzles?

Thanks, Joe

I've had an Ender 3v2 since 2019 and it's been basically flawless. I am not a prolific printer but I have run about five spools of filament through it.
Last year I added a Fiberpunk wireless connection device, an auto bed leveling system and a flexible build plate and those items really helped with the 'hands-off' aspect of printing.
I use Alibre Atom and Fusion 360 for the CAD aspect and Prusa Slicer to make the gcode file.
I only use 1.75mm PLA simply because that's all I've ever needed. I'm on the spare nozzle that came with the machine.
I've been very happy with the unit and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Start with PLA. It's the easiest thing to print (no need to stack additional challenges when you're just figuring things out). How much? Hard to say, but a couple of 1kg spools go a long ways, so that's where I'd start. Buy just one if you're hesitant and order another when you're 1/2 to 2/3 through your first roll. Once you've got the basics dialed in, if you want to print a gadzillion toolbox organizers or something you might consider a larger order. OTOH, I get all my PLA from Amazon, so delivery is quick which means I don't have to plan far ahead. Sunloo is excellent 'discount' filament and well-wound. That's what I mostly use, but any of the brands I mentioned should be winners.

Stick with the plate that comes with your printer, at least for a while. See where I mentioned that I got a new plate for my Anycubic and half regret it? That's because it came with a glass plate and I had massive over-adhesion - really, really, hard to remove the prints. I ordered a fancy magnetic plate, but before it arrived I discovered hairspray (Oh yeah, pick up a can of unscented Aqua-Net!) and that solved the problems I'd been having. I now use hairspray on all my plates. My Creality plate worked great without hairspray for a while, then I started having under-adhesion issues with it. Hairspray fixed that as well. On my Bambu X1C, I didn't even bother trying it without hairspray. It's hairspray all around these days.

I wouldn't bother with new nozzles initially either. You'll have to print a lot of PLA before the supplied nozzle gives up, and most printers come with at least one spare. Once you're well on your way you may decide you want a steel nozzle for more abrasive filaments, but by then you'll know what you want and understand that you'll have to bump your temps up a little because steel does not conduct heat as well as the brass nozzle that your printer will almost surely come with.

GsT

Just a couple of things... Keep in mind, until recently, 3D printing has been in a race to the bottom. Most vendors are targeting price points more than quality and it shows. There are lots of great machines out there, but keep in mind that the cheaper ones are likely best considered as kits to start from. They will require a lot more maintenance and adjustment to keep them working well. To compare to machinery, it's like a cheap import mini-lathe. You can do a lot of good work with one, but you are going to need to fix it up a little. Printers are a little like that on the lower end.

I started with a Lulzbot Mini. Great little machine. But small for today's prints. Only small fixes, a few wear parts. Still gets run a lot for smaller stuff that will fit on it.

This year I wanted a bigger one, so I picked up an Ender 3 S1 Plus. It's been good overall, but I am finding myself constantly having to tinker with it to get good prints. Right now, the bed is probing as a bowl and even Klipper's mesh leveling isn't able to compensate. It's not wrong either, I put a decent straightedge on it, and yup, it's a bowl alright. I'm not satisfied with the motion system either. Those POM wheels are annoying I have to adjust them more frequently than I like. I'm planning to get some parts to convert it to linear rails and replace the bed with a nice flat aluminum version. This printer is going to be relegated to large jobs and as a project printer. I don't mind a project printer, but it's really annoying when I want to print something and have to spend days tinkering to get things close enough to right to get a decent print. I spend more time fiddling than printing right now. And I probably toss half the filament that goes into it due to issues.

The result is I started looking into what's out now. The Bambu X1C is the top of the list right now. It's more money, but pushes quality up to the level where things are more than likely to just work. Much like my Lulzbot. Not appliance level, but closer. The multi-material options the AMS gives are impressive and look very useful for some projects I have in mind. More for supports than multi-color, but I can see that being interesting as well. It looks like a great choice for "engineering" materials as well. I really want to get into glass/carbon filled nylon and polycarb among others. The first layer checks like the lidar are also particularly interesting to me.

As for extras, grab a couple rolls of PLA. Once you get that used up, you'll have a much better idea what you want. I've been liking Polymaker lately, but there are a lot of good brands. Most other things you might get would likely end up being not quite what you want when you get to them. A filament dry box would perhaps be useful to start. Helps eliminate one of the issues people just starting don't quite understand. Even brand new filament can need drying.

Not “cheap”, but the Bambu P1P would be a good plug and play option. I have the P1S with the AMS and am super happy with it. I thought about the X1 Carbon but didn’t see the advantage for myself. You can eventually enclose the P1P if you wanted to.

Something to be said for things just working.

I'm looking at getting a printer.

This also can be considered as a "Christmas package", not for us, but we think others may be interested in getting a package for themselves or others, a Christmas gift, this could help others,

Spent some time searching and reading, but there does not seem to be a single thread with everything in one place.

The Ender units seem to have good things stated, but slicer software?

I assume that takes some CAD drawing to slice it into the print layers.

We have TurboCad and have used AutoCad, and we understand there may be Autocad products that are available as well.

There are different opinions on the different versions of everything.

We are looking at the lower but not bottom end in printers. The Ender line looks okay, but there are many, but what has reliable life and support?

Many different slicers, some may already have the printer as a preset that can be optimized, others need everything done manually, and what comes with the machine?

Cad software, what is already matched to the slicer software?

I'm currently considering FreeCad. It does not look too difficult to learn, and includes a "Path workbench," which can be used to generate G-code from 3D models. Probably includes a slicer as well (?). In any case, FreeCad can output STL files ( which can then be exported to a slicer).

Support after the sale, replacement parts, upgrades, tech support when it does not seem to work, different materials...

What else does one need to know?

The used market... many things on auction sites, they are there for a reason, are there things to look for or better just buying new for first one?

The items to be printed will be replaceable jaws for a clock spring winder we are building, current is plexiglass that is milled, printing would be easier once a master is created it would be simple to change the interface part.

58a7d66025e6fce55a8d3479dbe9556e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back