What is it?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently bought another lathe and with it came a pallet covered with tooling. I've been working my way through the pile and have no idea what this is. I should mention that the unthreaded hole in the top does go all the way through to the bottom....made me think it's supposed to mount to a tool post. Anybody know or have an idea?

IMG_0606.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
Looks Ike a boring bar holder

That was my first thought, but I couldn't figure out why it has a separate bottom plate that juts out into the radius cut. I should have taken a picture of that. The bottom plate is held in place with two countersunk screws....seems odd, but I'm far from an expert!

My guess is that it's a shop made tool (boring bar) holder. Made from what ever was at hand and the extra plate on the bottom was needed to raise the tool up to the spindle centerline. Does it fit your lathe?

My guess is that it's a shop made tool (boring bar) holder. Made from what ever was at hand and the extra plate on the bottom was needed to raise the tool up to the spindle centerline. Does it fit your lathe?

That's the odd part....the bottom is mostly a plate held on with two countersunk screws, but they machined away some of the larger block to make room for it. I meant to take a picture of the bottom today, but forgot.

Regardless of that, I set it on the compound with the tool post removed and ran the tailstock up to it with a dead center and the dead center was right on the money with the hole so it's got to be a boring bar holder. I call that a bonus win!

Back