What is a Speed Lathe?

CNC Dude

Active User
Registered
Hi Group,

For about 4 to 5 months I have seen on my local CL a listing for a Hardinge Speed Lathe. Not that I am interested in buying it as I don't think it will work for what I am trying to do, but to be honest I am just at a loss on what it is intended to be. It seems to me it is a precision lathe to make small stuff. Any other insight as to what this is?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/4070036152.html

Also, would you consider $2000 to be a fair price? Again, not that I am thinking about buying it, but lately any lathe related information is starting to become not only useful to me, but also quite relished. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I just did a quick google search and apparently $2000 is a good price. If it only were the Lathe I was looking for...

You'll notice it doesnt have a tailstock or even a provision for one; nor, does it have a leadscrew for cutting threads. It was designed for repetitive operations on relatively small parts. Yep, that's a classic speed lathe.

Is it worth $2000? If it's in good condition, maybe to the right buyer but, I don't think there's a real market for anything like that anymore. It might be useful to a jeweler or clockmaker or, similar special application. -just my opinion...

Ray

Hi Group,

For about 4 to 5 months I have seen on my local CL a listing for a Hardinge Speed Lathe. Not that I am interested in buying it as I don't think it will work for what I am trying to do, but to be honest I am just at a loss on what it is intended to be. It seems to me it is a precision lathe to make small stuff. Any other insight as to what this is?

Also, would you consider $2000 to be a fair price? Again, not that I am thinking about buying it, but lately any lathe related information is starting to become not only useful to me, but also quite relished. Thanks!

There's a Harding speed lathe in St Louis for 500$ and it does have a tailstock. Typically they are used to make or modify smaller parts. Theres still a lot you can do without a lead screw. think big watchmakers lathe.

Secondary ops lathe only. Think part of end cleanup and cut to length. Chamfers/bevels, snap ring grooves, the like. Some you don't even stop the spindle to change parts. Just open the chuck, grab the part, pull it out and put in the next one. They are production machines.

If I remember tubal cains got one check his out.

Hi Group,

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I just did a quick google search and apparently $2000 is a good price. If it only were the Lathe I was looking for...

That might be a production lathe but with a hand wheel collet closer one would have to stop after every part, from the photo link.

To be correct,a speed lathe CAN be only a motor with a drill chuck on the shaft,used to polish parts while they run fast. I have a factory made speed lathe with no provisions for tool holding. It is good for polishing small jewelry parts. A 2nd. operation lathe will have a proper headstock and tailstock,and a hand operated slide unit that often is just bolted to the bed. They can do very accurate work,but no threading without a special attachment.

Last edited:
Interesting setup.

I wonder what the recess/hole is for under the Harding name?

Looks like a belt was on here at one time.

Looks like a lever to release the belt. Is this to change parts without turning the motor off?

Last edited by a moderator:
That lathe is more than just a "speed lathe". It is more like a 2nd. operation lathe,or some kind of a small turret lathe. The square hole is probably where the forward/reverse lever was located,if it has the standard layout of other Hardinges.

That's where they put the little white mouse, to give the worker a food treat every time he finished a part.

Interesting setup.

I wonder what the recess/hole is for under the Harding name?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back