What is a Single Lip Cutter?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got all excited by a Stefan Gotteswinter video about tool and cutter grinders, and I decided to look for one for myself. I found an acceptable deal on a Gorton 375. Hooray! I don't know how to use it, but hooray, anyway.

I read up on grinders before I bought this thing. Gotteswinter uses a Chinese knockoff of a Deckel single lip cutter grinder. I thought what he did with it was pretty cool, but when researched grinders, I learned that a single lip cutter grinder is pretty limited. For example, it can't do a flute helix. Then I came across the Gorton, which will do a whole bunch of things a Deckel can't. It seemed like a no-brainer, although that impression may be grounded more in my ignorance than in fact.

Anyway, now that I have a Gorton headed my way, I have to ask: what is a single lip cutter, exactly? I know it's a cutter used in a pantograph mill, but why is it called a single lip cutter? None of my cutters have lips.

There are a few threads here on H-M where the 'they are very limited' has been debunked. And they can do the helix with an attachment (often included on the Chinese clones), just that many ppl think you can only do them with an air bearing spindle. Plenty of grinders did the helix on milling cutters pre-1930's.
The original patent for the Deckel ones is from 1935, long since expired hence all the clones.

The single lip designation is because there is only one lip on the cutters (a round cutter is ground to just over 50% depth). But these grinders can also do other types of cutters, with an adapter for square tools. Luis Ally has a few videos on what he does with this type of grinder. Don't discount the utility of 6 or 8mm HSS cutter made this way, they are superb on lathes even up to 10x22 ones.

I have an Alexander, basically a Deckel SO made under license. Presently using it to do four-facet grinds on drills, will be sharpening shop made gear cutters in the near future with a custom fixture. I also grind up 6mm HSS rod to do internal and external threading tools.

[re-post]
The one at auction last week in Greeneville, TN went for $250.00

I'm glad I didn't go for a little one, because I'd spend two weeks building a stand for it, and there appear to be few advantages.

Last edited:
Single lip cutters are (mostly) used for engraving, using a cone shaped cutter with one cutting edge, ground as a flat, and relieved behind it. The Gorton 375 has a sliding spindle, so it can grind spiral flutes in relatively small size cutters.

With a little creativity, you can do much with a Deckel type grinder. The key is in the work head. These grinders don't have a full 180 traverse around the wheel face like a "true" T&C, but it's no reason to say they are inherently limited in their usefulness.
92219a6cb9cc599ea6442d4a999ebc5e.jpg

The type shown is most similar to the Gorton model 500, they also made a model 265, which ground only conical or tapered single lip cutters and 3 or 4 faceted cutters. The 375 is the largest and most capable of all of them.

I'm looking forward to receiving the manual I ordered. If it has the base dimensions, I'll be able to get to work on some casters for the bottom.

You can find them on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Back