What is a 10inch x 3.5 ft south bend worth?

DJack

Registered
Registered
I know prices vary a lot depending on condition, area, and what comes with it. I am just trying to get a general idea of what things are worth. Are the prices asked on e-bay in the ball park. I am going to look at a 10 inch SB, the guy says it has every attachment then said he doesn't know much about lathes. He has at least got the 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a bunch of collets and closer, some dead centers and other odds and ends. It is one of the old style with the rounded legs about 1944 he thinks. I think it has a taper attachment and an Aloris style tool holder and 4 holders. Anyway he is asking $3200 for it which I think is over a grand high but then again I can't tell until I see it and hopefully try it out. Just wondering what others think if it is in good shape.
Thanks

I paid 1600.00 for heavy 10,cabinet mounted,3.5 foot bed. The bed was in great condition but chucks were crap. I sold it for 2250.00 with good chucks(3,4 " USA and 6" chinese) plus I had the milling attachment and other tooling. I doubt I broke even but I did use and learn with that machine for 5 years or so. Take a good look at it,take lots of pics including closeups of the bed ways and post here. You will get a good idea as to its worth. Seems high to me but it could be in pristine condition and my tune may change. Ski

You may pay more in your area, they seem more expensive out west than out east . Hopefully you can see it run and check it out good. Search how to buy a lathe there is good info there. Got mine in La. Ca. $2000. w/taper, tooling , vert band saw and a drive.
Good luck
Derrick

3200 seems high even for that area. I've seen 2 10l's in the last few months under 1500 there. You may want to consider the 9A which are often 1/2 the price of the heavy 10's.

Too high there is a 80s clausing 14x40 or so here with 6 jaw 2 3 jaw aloris post and bunch of stuff guy is asking $2300

Depends on the condition for sure. The acessories are expensive too. If you don't know how to appraise one that is a risky price.
If it was professionally redone and never used .....might be a steal ....might be a worn out anchor too. Sorry that question can't be answered easily

In July 2014, my 1958 13" x 5 foot SB was about $ 2,500 in the Los Angeles area. Flame hardened bed, D1-4 spindle, American made 6" three jaw & 8" four jaw, drive plate, taper attachment, steady rest, KDK 100 series tool post with 5 holders, 5/8" Jacobs Super Chuck (brand new), centers, 5 pcs indexable tool holders w/inserts, American made reduced shank drills 5/8" to 1.5" and boring bar sets, etc.

Wouldn't pay over the $ 2,500 for the heavy 10 unless in museum condition.

Oh, and splash guard and oak floor grate!!!

John

SB13-1.jpg

Back