'What in the...' Tool I.D. Please

sdy5001

Registered
Registered
I met this wonderful lady who's husband (recently passed ) apparently had a shop for the ages, and, well of the ages too, perhaps? I guess more than half had already been sold off by the time I became aware of this trove but what I mean is that this guy's favorite lathe, his 'go-to' and second smallest, is an absolutely stunning Hendey 14x30 and he had fitted an electric motor, among other Improvements to a camel back drill press To make Both of these very old beautiful machines suitable for A 'production' environment. This Guy with 2 or 3 helpers made machines that made equipment made equipment to fill a niche industry. But anyway there was a Tool of some sort there there that I picked up from the lady simply because Of how well it was made and interesting It is to look at but neither of us have any idea what it is... I think I gave her $25 for it Just to satisfy curiosity. Hopefully someone here knows what it is....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This crazy thing...
f88dd5d8ae0ee90e8b222f7384986597.jpg
190bd2e0477c4b0bfaf3a22e48654d4e.jpg
d873ad7098216c6b0987a38f309e5ae6.jpg
913ec41d7fc5cf8aa9990982cf4706fb.jpg

That was exactly my guess, But the lady who isn't unfamiliar what the shop by any means ( She nostalgically talked of running a lathe a few times when it was really busy lol) Said that it definitely wasn't a turret But thank you guys very much!

That was exactly my guess, But the lady who isn't unfamiliar what the shop by any means ( She nostalgically talked of running a lathe a few times when it was really busy lol) Said that it definitely wasn't a turret But thank you guys very much!

She's wrong, it's definitely a turret of some sort.
No doubt.
it may not be from that lathe, it might be from another, or a vertical lathe.
Could be part of a screw machine.
it has all the looks of a turret.

Definitely a turret, looks just like one to go on a small lathe. Only catch is the lever is on the wrong side. You didn't invert the picture by any chance did you?

Hendey turret...

Screenshot_20211027-142752_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It is similar... but the flat and v-way mating surfaces are reversed... so I don't think it fits a Hendey. Not a 14" tie-bar like mine, anyway.

-Bear

Is there a hole in the main body casting on the left side in the first pic and the bottom in the second pic where a crank handle would have went?

I'm thinking the lever in the pics... which would be on the back... is a slide lock instead of an operating handle?

Just guessing here...

-Bear

Hey everyone, You guys are the best, for real! Regarding the bar on the side... It is just that, a bar with dowel pins on both ends and a female receiver on the the body of this device for one end so some kind of lock would make perfect sense, but Is there any way that someone can send me a picture or diagram of one of these in use To see how it all ties together? As is, it almost seems like 3 independent mechanisms simply Inhabiting the same body...lastly, The dovetails are incredibly smooth and stout and ultimately why I bought it but but the carousel, on the other hand, has like .500 play? Thank you all again

Back