What If I Don't Have 4 Flute

RegisG

Registered
Registered
I'm new and don't have everything yet. I would rarely mill any steel but I have to machine the base of my lathe quick tool post to fit large T-slot on cross slide. I only have 2 fluted HSS bits. Should I increase speed, make smaller cuts, or order and wait for 4 flute bit?
I have made light cuts with 3/8" end mill at 720rpm. It cuts easily but, does make a little noise.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Regis

Oops, I mis-read OP's post and thought he was modifying his compound T-slot. By bad, post removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your RPM will be the same, regardless of the number of flutes. It is based on cutter material, cutter diameter (or work diameter on a lathe) and the material you are cutting. As mentioned, with fewer flutes, you just feed slower than you would with more flutes. You'll learn the feel fairly soon.

As others said you just feed slower. You are trying to keep the chip that's being removed the same size. Since you have fewer flutes removing metal you slow down the feed to keep chip load the same. If the tool could handle it increasing rpm would allow the same thing but at higher feed rate

Back