What I make with my metal lathe.....

DBlue

Registered
Registered
Hello to all....I've been mostly a lurker here, reading as much as I can to learn from everyone here. I run a small archery business, I have a small shop here at my home. I make carbon fiber target stabilizers for bows and I also make adjustable stabilizer weights and also different size knurled release knobs. I came up with the idea for the adjustable weights using cheap fender washers for the weight inside and recently designed them and they work really well without having to spend a fortune for the commercially available weights on the market. I have also designed a line of stabilizers with interchangeable end caps, you can change the color of the end caps using the same carbon rods, I also do the powder coating on the weights and caps. I have applied for a patent on the weights and the interchangeable end caps as they are a first in the archery business. I started off a couple years ago using a Grizzly 0602 bench top lathe and my business picked up to the point I couldn't keep up using the smaller lathe. A few months ago I bought a Grizzly 0709 lathe and it has allowed me to keep up with the production and threading with it has been a breeze, I'm very happy with it. I'm no machinist by any means as I'm self taught on the things I make. I just thought I would make a post and show some pics of the items I make. Thanks very much to everyone here as I have learned alot from this site.

Thanks,
Don Blue

Here's a few pics....

Regular stabilizers...
original.jpg

Stabilizers with interchangeable end caps...
original.jpg

original.jpg

weights....
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Release knobs...
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Hello to all....I've been mostly a lurker here, reading as much as I can to learn from everyone here. I run a small archery business, I have a small shop here at my home. I make carbon fiber target stabilizers for bows and I also make adjustable stabilizer weights and also different size knurled release knobs. I came up with the idea for the adjustable weights using cheap fender washers for the weight inside and recently designed them and they work really well without having to spend a fortune for the commercially available weights on the market. I have also designed a line of stabilizers with interchangeable end caps, you can change the color of the end caps using the same carbon rods, I also do the powder coating on the weights and caps. I have applied for a patent on the weights and the interchangeable end caps as they are a first in the archery business. I started off a couple years ago using a Grizzly 0602 bench top lathe and my business picked up to the point I couldn't keep up using the smaller lathe. A few months ago I bought a Grizzly 0709 lathe and it has allowed me to keep up with the production and threading with it has been a breeze, I'm very happy with it. I'm no machinist by any means as I'm self taught on the things I make. I just thought I would make a post and show some pics of the items I make. Thanks very much to everyone here as I have learned alot from this site.

Thanks,
Don Blue

Here's a few pics....

Regular stabilizers...
original.jpg

Stabilizers with interchangeable end caps...
original.jpg

original.jpg

weights....
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Release knobs...
original.jpg
Hello Don BLUE
For a self-taught Man Your work is not only beautiful but exceptional.
We can only admire Your determination.
My Son is into archery. Will check if He would like any of Your creations. I shoot a compound, casually.
Those weights - what material is that ???
Is it S/S or ?.
That finish U have obtained is absolutely eye-candy.
Looks like U buffed these to achieve that lovely polished finished ???
Wish U all the best in Your business and success as well.
Keep up the good work and keep posting pics.
aRM

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks very much....:)

The weights are made from aluminum....I use a buffer and polishing compound to get the polished finish on them.

Thanks....

Very nice work...

Say, could you explain about the stabilizers? I don't quite understand the purpose and concept of how they help. Are these attachments to the arrow?

Thanks

Ray

Thanks....The stabilizers attach to the riser of the bow and the weight attaches to the end of the stabilizer which allows you to balance the bow by finding the right amount of weight that works for you. Once you find the right amount of weight that works for you....it allows you to hold the bow rock steady on the bulls eye when shooting and the carbon fiber also absorbs alot of the vibration from the bow when it is shot. It takes some time to find the right length stabilizer and the right amount of weight that works for you but once you get it set up it will allow you to shoot way better than without any stabilizers. I make them in different lengths and will also custom make them to any length a person would want.

Here's a pic of one of my target bows with the stabilizers attached....
original.jpg

original.jpg

Duh... OK, I get it... Had a dull moment there... That would offset the momentum of the top part caused by the hand grip being below the centerline... Got it... Thanks

Ray

Thanks....The stabilizers attach to the riser of the bow and the weight attaches to the end of the stabilizer which allows you to balance the bow by finding the right amount of weight that works for you. Once you find the right amount of weight that works for you....it allows you to hold the bow rock steady on the bulls eye when shooting and the carbon fiber also absorbs alot of the vibration from the bow when it is shot. It takes some time to find the right length stabilizer and the right amount of weight that works for you but once you get it set up it will allow you to shoot way better than without any stabilizers. I make them in different lengths and will also custom make them to any length a person would want.

Here's a pic of one of my target bows with the stabilizers attached....
original.jpg

That is one serious piece of equipment there. I am impressed with your work.

"Billy G"

original.jpg

Back