What Happened to My Part?

I'm rethinking now and believe it may have been my parting tool.
I use one of these,
http://www.eccentricengineering.com...mart&page=shop.browse&category_id=19&Itemid=3
This time, and maybe I should do this all the time, I indicated the blade. Normally I would use a square on the holder or post and square that to the chuck. Anyway, not sure why cause the clamping system is really proper but under the clamp the blade is straight but the part that is doing the cutting curves away from the center line. I only ever have just enough blade stick out to make the cut.
This time I parted to size and all is well.

I don't think that was it.
The only thing I think is if you removed the part and didn't square it up the part would be longer on one side and shorter on the opposite side.

There is a lot of forces when using a parting tool. Likely the part moved just a bit, unless you hit near a hard spot and therefore the deflection?
Pierre

Could be. I got some chatter which I rarely do when parting with this tool. It came and went. Sort of odd.

I'm trying to picture your part. .375" long 1.5" od .801 bore. Why did you have to flip it in the 4 jaw? Couldn't it all be done with one setup?

I parted it a little so I could face it off to size.

I parted it a little so I could face it off to size.

Maybe this is what you're already saying, but, if I was making that part I would indicate it in the 4 jaw with about an inch of stickout, bore it to .810 about 3/4 deep, part in to 1 inch OD (at bottom of hole), face to length, (.375), and then continue parting right thru the bored hole. One setup and no worries about reinserting a short part out-of-square.

Thanks Epanzella.
What does the partial parting do?

Squaring "pancake" type parts can be difficult. I usually square to a spacer. The are three threaded holes for offset studs to square the spacer to the spindle axis. Commerciaql versions are also available.
View attachment 234629
I'd be interested in the commercial commercial versions. What are they called? Do you know who sells them?

Thanks

Howard

Back