What Dove Tail Angle On Sherline

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone know what angel they use on Sherline lathe and mills, Want to cut some stuff that would fit on an old Sherline but not sure what dovetail it is . Saw something that said it was 55 degrees, and bad at figuring it out from the bed I have.

Ok, That is what I thought, but somewhere else I saw 60. Now comes the fun part finding a cutter to make a 55 degree dovetail deep enough without costing a mint.

Anyone know what angel they use on Sherline lathe and mills, Want to cut some stuff that would fit on an old Sherline but not sure what dovetail it is . Saw something that said it was 55 degrees, and bad at figuring it out from the bed I have.

Do not count on what "someone said it was . . .". Measure it yourself. Many times I have found that what someone else measured is different than the component that I am working on (for any of lots of reasons). If you are machining, you need to learn to measure. Making chips is easy. Leaving the correct amount of metal behind, in the correct location - well that is more challenging.

I made four T-bolts this weekend. Actually I made 7 T-bolts, but for various reasons (that I'm too embarrassed to discuss) I got carried away on making chips when I ought to have been measuring - three of said bolts are in the scrap bin.

The bed dovetail is 55.5 degrees. You will not find a stock dovetail cutter like this. I had to make mine in three pieces.

What are you building?

Back