What does your brain do when you're looking for something?

My last resort is to ask my wife to join the search. She usually finds the object in a minute or two.

Now THIS is something worth investigating and solving, along with fusion and cancer. I see the same thing...I look to the point of exhaustion, then ask. She says "It was on your night table this morning" or such.

I'm 75. And a half.

I'm 63 and for the most part I'm still doing pretty good. When I was working in a truck repair shop, my tool box was immaculate, every thing was in its place, the top was cleaned and I would wipe any grease and oil of the drawers and then it was locked every night.

I changed professions went to work for the phone company and brought my tool box home. My work truck at the phone company was set up similar everything in it place and I tried to keep everything possible to do the job.

Now that I'm retired things are a little different, my mechanic tool box is still setup like it was almost 40 years ago. Now the problem is things don't get put away everyday. Sometimes they get left in the front box on my ATV other times they just get laid on the floor just inside the shop door. And if I'm working in the shop well, sometimes it's just a mystery where I laid that 10mm socket, LOL.

And now that I have a lathe and a mill and a separate roll box for my machining tools, I'm trying to set it up like my mechanic took box. At some point I hope to have everything in its place and a place for everyting. I don't quite have it down yet. Some days it's like are the reamers in the first big drawer down or the second, nope they are in the third. At least the machinest tool don't get scattered out around the shop.

Now THIS is something worth investigating and solving, along with fusion and cancer. I see the same thing...I look to the point of exhaustion, then ask. She says "It was on your night table this morning" or such.

I'm 75. And a half.
I think we need a reboot button. We start our search with a preconceived notion whereas they are looking for an object based on a crude description that we give them.

Another thing I do, that I also hate, is when I put my reading glasses down, and then forget where I put them -
Of course now, without the glasses, I can't see close enough without them, to find them again !
This has caused a great deal of wasted time .......

I am 79 and my wife is almost 79--we both have the same losing stuff syndrum and are really good at helping each other find things. she shakes her head and says "oh my!" when she is looking through all my shops and all the stuff all over and in every isle. we both need help! we both ask God to help us find items after we exhaust ourselves looking first.---and it works every time we ask.
Dave

Watch some of the videos of Scottish sheep dogs at work. They have obviously acquired additional skills.
That was incredible! I had no idea they were so precise. I thought herding sheep was primarily about keeping all of them together, and if possible all pointed more-or-less the same direction, and hoping they eventually accidentally migrate the direction you wanted.

Dogs and horses are exceptions to the rule (if it can be called a rule, more of a personal observation). I mean dogs are critically underdeveloped at birth compared to cows, but still much further along than most of the smarter animals (birds, primates, raccoons, etc.). There does seem (to me) to be a correlation between development at birth and intelligence, with humans being the most intelligent, and being utterly useless for years after birth. Maybe dogs and horses benefited from hanging out with us for a few thousand years? Did we rub off on them or did we welcome them as already kindred spirits?

I think it must be the latter case, otherwise cats should also be trainable. But those bastards are hard coded for spite and assassination. Yeah, I've seen the videos of cats jumping through hoops, doing backflips, sliding on ziplines, etc. and I'm not at all convinced they aren't CGI and/or dogs in cat costumes. Everyone has at least one conspiracy theory, and that's the one I subscribe to. "Trained cats aren't real" - that's my moon landing.

I think the real stars of the animal kingdom are the squirrels. They can come to trees they have never seen before, assess the situation, and execute the most efficient path from [point A to point B. You very seldom will see a squirrel back track. They bury hundreds to thousands of nuts at random locations and come back in mid winter and dig them out from under the snow. Somehow, their brain has a map for the locations of each nut. They can work through a complicated set of obstacles with seeming ease. Try to keep them out of your bird feeder.

I think the real stars of the animal kingdom are the squirrels. They can come to trees they have never seen before, assess the situation, and execute the most efficient path from [point A to point B. You very seldom will see a squirrel back track. They bury hundreds to thousands of nuts at random locations and come back in mid winter and dig them out from under the snow. Somehow, their brain has a map for the locations of each nut. They can work through a complicated set of obstacles with seeming ease. Try to keep them out of your bird feeder.
You're not wrong about that! I never really considered them more than "tree rats" but you know, rats aren't exactly stupid either...

Back