What does the seller mean: I had the ways epoxy coated

I have been looking at and thinking about Bridgeport mills for some time and thought this one looked well priced if the 'repairs' are satisfactory. Thanks

That he 'had it done' rather than doing it himself is probably a plus.

M

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing this Bridgeport Series I variable speed mill locally on CL:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/3929188498.html

Seller Says: This is an older mill and the bed and ways do have wear, however I did have the ways epoxy coated so they are tight.

Good idea? Bad Idea? What does it even mean?

Thanks

jim

That he 'had it done' rather than doing it himself is probably a plus.

M

He didn't write back. why don't you call him and ask him what kind of repair was done? Mogliced the entire undersides of the ways or filled some scored with JD weld.

I called the owner of the Mill and introduced myself as a rebuilding calling for friends. He said he took apart the mill and it was worn pretty bad on the top of the knee and top of the saddle. He said he applied about. .010" of a ceramic 2 part epoxy in the worn areas on the top of the knee and under the table on the top of the saddle.

He said "he" did it and did not have someone else do it as his ad imply's He said he used a putty knife and then set a straight-edge on the surface to flatten it out. He also said it is better then it was and run's OK, ut not perfect. He said he doesn't use the mill much now as he bought a newer one. Said several times for you guys should to come look at it.

I asked if he had done anything to the surface before applying the epoxy and said he cleaned it real good.

I have never heard of anyone doing this before, so I would think Buyer be a ware. But $2000.00 is cheap for a VS Bridgeport in any condition. He measured the table and said it was 35 1/2". Normally they are 42", but they did make 36" tables long ago, beofre they made VS heads. He can load up to 36" high trailers if you buy it. Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the excellent replies. I've never owned a mill, so the potential issues with this one are more than I wish to tackle.

Appreciate all the advice.

jim

I have been looking at and thinking about Bridgeport mills for some time and thought this one looked well priced if the 'repairs' are satisfactory. Thanks

If your looking for a nice used Bridgeport I have a couple in the For Sale Section on this forum
JOHN

I have a question... What does Turcite feel like? I read that it is a type of Teflon (PTFE) and that makes me think of an egg frying pan whereby the stuff is kinda soft and gummy.

Ray

I have a question... What does Turcite feel like? I read that it is a type of Teflon (PTFE) and that makes me think of an egg frying pan whereby the stuff is kinda soft and gummy.

Ray

Turcite is soft and easier to scrape than cast iron...but wears very well

JOHN

I have been using Rulon 142 the past few years after sourcing Turcite was hard after Shambam the original mfg. closed http://tstar.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?IID=4835

If you drag your finger nail on it, it sort of digs in if you sracthed some soft Linoleum tile. It is a mixture of bronze and and Teflon. It comes in different thickness . The majority of machines coming from Asia use 047" so after it is ground and scraped you have aprox .040" left The size I have on hand is .015, .032, .047, .062. They also sell .090 and .125 I think. One side is acid etched so there special epoxy has .003" glass beads in it to get a consistent glue line when you attach it.

You have to sharpen your hand scraper at a -12 to -20 deg neg or the cast iron neg 5 deg will dig in and gouge the softer material. I can cut a small piece and mail it to you. I sent some to one of the Moderators a while back, if you want some PM me your address. I buy it in 12" wide by the length of what I need to cover and cut it with a utility knife or scissors. A big mistake the manufactures did before they understood it use is the machined oil grooves to deep and into the base metal and that let coolants and oil eat away on the epoxy. Now they say to never cut grooves thru it. If you look on Moglice.com they make a injectable product that I had assumed was what the guy spread on the ways, before I called him.

I get a monthly newsletter from Tr-Star that I am sure you could sign up to get. Rich
PS Garlock sells one too, it's brown

I'm only curious about it to scratch a mental itch. Doesn't seem like it would work -like it would compress and jam-up. Do you put normal oil on it or something else?

I have been using Rulon 142 the past few years after sourcing Turcite was hard after Shambam the original mfg. closed http://tstar.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?IID=4835

If you drag your finger nail on it, it sort of digs in if you sracthed some soft Linoleum tile. It is a mixture of bronze and and Teflon. It comes in different thickness . The majority of machines coming from Asia use 047" so after it is ground and scraped you have aprox .040" left The size I have on hand is .015, .032, .047, .062. They also sell .090 and .125 I think. One side is acid etched so there special epoxy has .003" glass beads in it to get a consistent glue line when you attach it.

You have to sharpen your hand scraper at a -12 to -20 deg neg or the cast iron neg 5 deg will dig in and gouge the softer material. I can cut a small piece and mail it to you. I sent some to one of the Moderators a while back, if you want some PM me your address. I buy it in 12" wide by the length of what I need to cover and cut it with a utility knife or scissors. A big mistake the manufactures did before they understood it use is the machined oil grooves to deep and into the base metal and that let coolants and oil eat away on the epoxy. Now they say to never cut grooves thru it. If you look on Moglice.com they make a injectable product that I had assumed was what the guy spread on the ways, before I called him.

I get a monthly newsletter from Tr-Star that I am sure you could sign up to get. Rich
PS Garlock sells one too, it's brown

Back