What do you guys do with your TIG torch when you need to set it down?

W6PUG

Active User
Registered
I know that sounds like a dumb question (maybe it is) but I was working in the shop last night and I needed to put the torch down for a minute while I adjusted the clamped piece, and the weight of the cable dragged it off and it hit the floor - and a piece broke off the ceramic gas lense :angry: ... it was too hot to lay across my lap ... and of course it was the only cup I had (got 4 more this morning just as punishment to myself) so that shut me down for last night, and I was having too much fun .... do you guys have some kind of special hook or holder or something you clamped to your table or something?
Thanks! Doug with Pugs

over my knee usually.if not i hang it on the saw next to me

I've got hooks hanging underneath the table from where I usually honker-in to do TIG work.

-LOL: DO NOT drape it over your lap and let it dangle down by your ankles unless you like burning holes thorough your pants and right into your skin.

Ray

I've got hooks hanging underneath the table from where I usually honker-in to do TIG work.

-LOL: DO NOT drape it over your lap and let it dangle down by your ankles unless you like burning holes thorough your pants and right into your skin.

Ray
well don't drape it tip in...

well don't drape it tip in...

The hoses and wires have such a natural curl, it's the only way I could possibly drape the torch. -Thus, the hooks under my table and overhead shelf.

-And yes, I have more than one or two little burn pock marks on my leg -oh that hurts...

Ray

There are TIG torch holders available at places like HF, but this is one I threw together from a magnet, steel strap, and the storage hook that came with the magnet. I have a steel plate screwed to the corner of my welding booth to stick this one or my MIG torch holder to. You could also stick it to the work piece, if it was big enough.
P2151277a.jpg

P2151277a.jpg

tickles when you accidentally hit the switch:roflmao:

tickles when you accidentally hit the switch:roflmao:

Oh, I hate when that happens! The worst/dumbest move I ever pulled was having a long piece of filler rod touching the side of my neck then accidentally bump it with the electrode. Whoahhhh Baby.... that's a wake-up call.

Ray

Folks, I want to thank you for your ideas. I looked at the commercial TIG holders on the web and not impressed, but I did take all of YOUR ideas, dug through my junk box, and made one that I think will satisfy my needs quite well. I am attaching a couple of photos to show you what I came up with, and you will see pieces of everyone's idea made into one ... the arm is from an old dial indicator that I trashed 20 years ago and saved the arm itself; the hooks were liberated from my wife's garden shed, and wallah! IT WORKS!! :)) Might not be the sexiest beast on the block, but the net cost out of pocket is $0, and it works and I am glad I asked for help from you guys to get the brain engaged. I just wanted to say THANKS!! Doug with Pugs
Ramona-20140216-00261.jpgRamona-20140216-00262.jpg

Ramona-20140216-00261.jpg Ramona-20140216-00262.jpg

Folks, I want to thank you for your ideas. I looked at the commercial TIG holders on the web and not impressed, but I did take all of YOUR ideas, dug through my junk box, and made one that I think will satisfy my needs quite well. I am attaching a couple of photos to show you what I came up with, and you will see pieces of everyone's idea made into one ... the arm is from an old dial indicator that I trashed 20 years ago and saved the arm itself; the hooks were liberated from my wife's garden shed, and wallah! IT WORKS!! :)) Might not be the sexiest beast on the block, but the net cost out of pocket is $0, and it works and I am glad I asked for help from you guys to get the brain engaged. I just wanted to say THANKS!! Doug with Pugs
View attachment 70249View attachment 70250

That'l work... I think mine were bicycle hooks that I got at the Dollar Store...

Ray

Back