What do y'all think about this ?

Wow, Bamban you really scored!
she sounded great.
i'm very happy for you, great acquisition!!! :grin:

Let it sit overnight, made a couple more turning pass at different feed rate, did not check the level. The whole system must have settled down somewhat, hockey pucks probably compressed a little from the weight.

When I get the outrigger done and 4 levelers under the underdrive housing the level should be a lot more stable.

20170619_183211.jpg 20170619_183320.jpg 20170619_183438.jpg

each test is looking better.

OK Bambam, you making me jealous. You keep cutting those two tenths tapers! I'm lucky if my lathe will cut within .002" in 10 inches!

Man! that is best Father's Day present anyone could ask for and get!

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

OK Bambam, you making me jealous. You keep cutting those two tenths tapers! I'm lucky if my lathe will cut within .002" in 10 inches!

Man! that is best Father's Day present anyone could ask for and get!

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Ken,

Thank you, it is indeed a surprise how well it cuts. The seller told me that it cut tenths across 12 inches once leveled. Of course I did not believe him till I did it myself and twice without touching anything. Last night I was testing the gearing by cutting different threads I normally do, to make sure I have the correct gears. All is well, however I came close in crashing into the chuck when I was testing 16 TPI and not using the back gear. The half nut lever did not want to release quickly that I had to quickly disengaged the belt to stop. My bad shoulders and limited range of motion I had a hard time to react quickly to push the power off switch in that arm behind the chuck. I am not sure if I like the location of the control switches reaching over a spinning chuck. The VFD will solve all that, I will mount the control boxes right there by the chip pan, that I can even activate the EMO with my thigh.

Last edited:
She cleans up nicely, still in progress though as you can see the contrast with the uncleaned section. The TS end was shot with Flourescent white balance last night, HS side with ambient light with garage door open. The colors are close20170620_195752.jpg 20170621_110853.jpg

Next up on the to do list is replace the cross slide lead screw and nut, just can't live with 0.080 back lash.

Last edited:
It cut that good with that much play in the cross slide not bad. and the finish also looked good on the shots I saw. Lucky you. I keep looking for a deal like that but not finding it.

Ken

Next up on the to do list is replace the cross slide lead screw and nut, just can't live with 0.080 back lash.
I hope it's more like the nut being loose or a combination of that, worn screw, and the thrust bearing arrangement on the taper attachment.

I haven't looked lately, there was a guy selling the cross feed screw and nut, made properly, for the 13" SBL. When I say made properly, the screw thread is made to a 4C tolerance and the nut is made snug to the screw. Most of the guys out there are making the nut using a class 2G tap and lead screw material made to a 2G fit, which equals a lot of slop in a new nut and screw! If you got a follower rest with the lathe, make your own. I've always made mine when a new cross feed screw was needed. If you decided to make your own, I have bearing bronze for the nut, I'm willing to share with you.

Back