What do I need to know about machining titanium

I have just finished machining some parts from titanium....here is what I found in my efforts.....I had to slow my speeds down, almost in half....use a good coolant/cutting oil, I found that I had to push my bits hard, dont let the tool just sit there if your not pushing it get it out....most of the heat generated in the process goes in the tool, the chips dont extract heat like metal chips do....I used carbide / high speed bits and cobalt drill bits, they have to be sharp or they wont do anything but heat things up..... Also it depends on what variety of titanium you will be machining....I was making my parts from the 6AL-4V which is the hardest to machine.................

My one experience with titanium was years ago. I turned a part from a large diameter shaft. It turned very easy. However, I needed to use a saw to cut off the part from the shaft as I did not have a big enough cut-off tool. I never did get that part cut off! It work hardens very quickly and the saw just sat there and rubbed on it, and it was a large horizontal band saw with coolant.

Back