What do I need to know about machining titanium

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys, titanium is one metal I have always stayed away from or actually never needed to machine for any project. I recently have been asked to do some parts in titanium. What tips and or secrets do I need to know about this metal. I will be cutting, turning and milling it so tell me all you know. :))

Thanks guys and have a great day!

Ed

It work hardens easily and in my experience you need to use carbide tooling.

Dont let chips build up. Clean often, and if it does combust, dont throw water on it

Keep the cutter(s) moving, carbide works best for me. Mills pretty nice. Absolute pain in the as* to drill.

I'm no expert, I've just made a few compensators for 1911 style competition guns in it.

Bill
P.S. never heard of titanium chips catching fire. Now magnesium is a different story...

Do Not use TiN coated tools. It will stick to them.

Oh, yea. Forgot that part. Learned that one the hard way. If I'd just have thought about it for a sec...

Bill

Your right. I dont now why I had magn in my head
Keep the cutter(s) moving, carbide works best for me. Mills pretty nice. Absolute pain in the as* to drill.

I'm no expert, I've just made a few compensators for 1911 style competition guns in it.

Bill
P.S. never heard of titanium chips catching fire. Now magnesium is a different story...

I drill Ti with carbide drills when I can as but it can drilled with cobalt too as long as you use the appropriate speed & feeds. I use high positive carbide inserts on the lathe for Ti, the finish is very nice. Nothing beats flood coolant when machining Ti, especially when drilling. I haven't used my flood coolant systems yet but I get by most of the time by just blowing air. Just be sure to watch the heat & keep your cutters sharp.

never heard of titanium chips catching fire. Now magnesium is a different story...

Your right. I dont now why I had magn in my head

Titanium chips will catch on fire, not nearly as bad as magnesium or ferrocerium but caution should be taken. I've never machined magnesium but I have machined ferro rod & great caution has to be taken with that. Grab some Ti chips & put a flame to it, they will burn white hot. A class d fire extinguisher is required for that type of fire. Not saying to actually try but if you do make sure it's in a controlled environment

I machine titanium quite often & is why I spend time to keep my lathe clean of Ti chips when I feel I have to. It's not nearly as easy to ignite on the lathe but it can happen if you are careless, especially without flood coolant.

Here's what happened when I was boring with a not so sharp cutter with too much feed. Spark flew out of the bore & landed on a pile of Ti chips. It wasn't an intense ignition but it could get ugly very quick if not dealt with. I grabed the pile and tossed it on the floor & let them burn out. Luckily it was just a small pile.

Img_8914.jpg

It usually takes a bit of effort, but you can light up the titanium chips on your machine. At work, it happens occasionally.

As metioned, a Class D extinguisher is recommended (Ti will burn in air, water, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, silica). In the event of a titanium fire, we use salt. Lots of salt. When you think the fire is extinguished, LEAVE IT ALONE and let it continue to cool.

All of the tooling types mentioned here will do just fine, but if you can give us a better description of some of the machining operations and dimensions you'll be making, we may be able to recommend better tooling that is better for cutting or better on your bank account. We mostly use carbides, both brazed and coated inserts. We machine it dry or with flood coolant, it depends on the machining operation, the type of work piece, the alloy, and the condition (cast vs. forged vs. rolled).

What alloy of Ti will you be working with? CP? Ti 6-4?

Most alloys are gummy, but machine OK with the right set up. Low speeds with adequate feeds and a machine that has enough low end torque to keep the tooling moving help. Titanium is extremely elastic and has a memory. The memory effect makes the material want to go back to where it came from at the last hot working. For example, when saw cutting a piece of billet, sometimes it springs closed on the saw blade, sometimes it opens up. Smaller diameter round bar will go out of straight when turned due to the hot rolling process to produce the bar. After mechanical straightening, it will stay straight.....for a while, then go back to where it came from.

Thanks everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

As of this moment the person that asked about making some parts for him is still screwing around making his decision on what exactly he wants. When I get more info on what particular titanium alloy he wants then I can add it to the conversation.

It's great to know that there can be a fire risk.

Again thanks everyone.

Have a great day!

Ed

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Back