what do I look up?

Calixt0

Registered
Registered
hello all, I know the obvious places on line to look for or at machinery (mills, lathes, grinders etc) I know of the big import names like jet and grizzly, but what do I search on yp.com or internet ingeneral to find the machine retailers and more importantly for me resellers (used)..

Thanks

Shaun

There are brokers for used machines but from what I have seen, they are usually above a hobby class machine. Many find used machines on craigslist. Be careful there though as there are a bunch of shady characters cruising there. I see quite a few used machines listed on e-bay as well as some new machines. Often, you can go to the e-bay store from e-bay to see the complete listing of the vendor.

I have attached a vendor list that I started for machining related vendors.

Attachments

• Vendor list.xls
    37 KB · Views: 8
sorry I should have been more clear.. I see different youtubers that mention finding deals on tooling at the dealers.. i was wanting to go look for tooling rather than machines

There is no magic to it, just plain old hard work - like everything else. Of course you keep an eye on the usual used stuff sites (Craigs list, Kijiji, ebay, whatever else local, auctions), and talk to people about your interests (car, air plane, train clubs, Maker fairs, . . . ). Develop and care for your own net work. I assume you have some machining kit and ability? Do little freebee jobs for people - sort of a "for future consideration".

I am always working on my machining stuff. I never really know what is going to show up next - but weird bits and pieces of different things are showing up constantly. I often go and look at machines that I have zero interest in purchasing, because often there is other stuff that wasn't advertised. I talk to the sell and often that gives me other leads. Once again, I don't know what may show up, but so what - cool and interesting stuff is showing up all the time (always cheap, often free, usually needing some repair). Things that other people are throwing out is probably my #1 source (grinders, drills, vises, drill bits, chucks, saws, tool chests, machine lamps).

Tracking down good kit for cheap is just work, nothing special, no secret tricks, no special web sites.

After more than 40 years of accumulating tools I no longer remember where I got many of them. I do know I shared my hobby interests with nearly everyone I came in contact with. I also belong to a hobby machinist's club. People, knowing what I do and am interested in, give me things. A couple of retired machinists have given me things. Garage sales and auctions have provided things. Things eventually appear as you meet people with similar interests. Hang in there, share your interests and it will happen.

sorry I should have been more clear.. I see different youtubers that mention finding deals on tooling at the dealers.. i was wanting to go look for tooling rather than machines
The spreadsheet lists the various tooling vendors. As to any special deals, you will have to monitor the vendor websites. Some vendors will send e-mails when they have specials running if you subscribe to their site.

Calixto, i'll like to add one more place where i've had best luck, flea markets, yard sales, allows you to buy in bulk and later trade with other machinist for what you need, just keep in mind one man's trash is another man's treasure is not always the truth, sometime trash is trash.

I watch estate auctions. I check the local auctioneers websites for auctions that have machine tools and tooling.

Look for machinery dealers as some have a used or pick area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back