What do forums do for you ?

One thing that we discussed when we first began the forum was the fact that a forum should be like a virtual bar where a crew of people get together to shoot the breeze about machine topics, and other things. Of course, wanting desperately to learn about machining, I was focused on information mainly. But there has to be a social component or no one will feel drawn to it. I always like to see people becoming friends from the forum, because it means that the social component is there. It makes me feel good to help bring people together on here. It's like a virtual machinist club fir those who cannot join a machinist club.

Nelson

I "belong" to a number of machinist forums. Some are very good and others not so much. I guess everyone is looking to get something different out of their visits and likewise give something different in return.

I've not been a member here very long but have found everyone to be helpful and friendly. There doesn't seem to be a "core group" of demigods that can do or say no wrong. There is one site in particular that I feel as tho I must genuflect each time I sign on. That is the main reason why I do not frequent some of the other sites very much. No one is always right OR wrong, and contrary to what some think..there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Learn from one another and enjoy yourself. We all come from the far corners of the world and most all have different backgrounds. Different eyes and minds see a different solution to a perplexing problem. It doesn't get better than that. ;0

FC, one of the objectives here has been to be a different kind of forum, where exactly what you mention doesn't happen. You are exactly right, Nobody is always right, now if we could just find him and get him to join.....

Anyway, I'm glad you recognize the difference, and hope you continue to contribute to that difference. It's all up to the member themselves to make this stay like it is now, different, and friendly.

Fluted,

Thank you for your kind comments. As Tony said, that is EXACTLY what we aimed for when we started.

Please tell your friends- that is the only way we will expand. Other forums hoarde their members selfishly, and don't want them knowing about us.
Your buddies will probably like it here.

Nelson

I'm in several machine specific forums. I bought my first Unimat at age 27 and still have 2 unimats. I use them occasionally. I learned machining from the Unimat handbook and later the Atlas and SB handbooks.

I have never been able to work with a professional machinest. The forums have been very helpful as a learning tool. I have accumulated a lot of tooling and metals over that past 47 years.

On many of the forums I am reluctant to ask questions because of the guys who like to pick at the question to feed their egos. I get a lot of ideas reading about what others have done. Occasionally I feel qualified to answer someone's question.

Over the years I have built an extensive database of projects for reference.

Joe
Joe

that's what is nice about this forum... no " holyier than thou' attitudes' not that I've seen, at least
joebiplane

author=joebiplane (south jersey) link=topic=3716.msg27923#msg27923 date=1317508130
that's what is nice about this forum... no " holyier than thou' attitudes' not that I've seen, at least
joebiplane

Well, it's easy... in my case, I stink at this, and the attitudes all flow from the top in my view.
People who want to preach go where there are people who will listen.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
author=flutedchamber link=topic=3716.msg27664#msg27664 date=1317367150... There doesn't seem to be a "core group" of demigods that can do or say no wrong. ...

Dang, I was going to use that in my profile "core group demigod". ;) Always right? Heck, I would settle for "right once in a while". ::thumbzup::

I do like the atmosphere on this forum. I belong to a couple different "machining" forums but usually don't post on the other ones as I have a low tolerance for "suffering online a$$holes and blowhards".

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back