What did I get here? *HSS tool bits*

K30

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So someone had a "Lot of old HSS tool bits" for sale. No picture, approx 30lbs. $50. I mean, why wouldn't you just buy that? Sooooo, I did. And it got here... Some of this I'm familiar with, but this was NOT what I was expecting :cautious: Little help here, what the heck did I get? Normal stuff first. It gets weirder as it goes...

Edit: Identified stuff
Cleveland Twist Drill MoMax /Super MoMax Cobalt: MoMax Cobalt seem to be an M30, Super MoMax is an M42
Latrobe Crusader: M3-2 "unusual combination of extremely high edge strength at high hardness levels"
Stellite: this stuff is the devil in my industry. I think it's actually outlawed. Makes wicked awesome valve seats
VR/Wesson Tantung G: Some kind of chromium, tungsten, columbium and carbon in a cobalt matrix. Not a HSS or Carbide. Probably alien technology similar to Stellite
BASCo Congo: Braeburn Alloy Steel Corp. Congo is an M6, for higher speeds/feeds
(Crucible) Rex 49: M41 ultra-hard "high-speed tool steel designed to give much longer life in machining difficult to cut metals such as highly-alloyed steels, stainless steels, superalloys, and titanium"
Hakansson 530-1: ?????? Can't find anything on this at all

HSS1.jpgHSS2.jpgHSS3.jpgHSS4.jpgHSS5.jpgKong.jpgstellite.jpg

Last edited:
You got some big boys! Good haul. To be honest, not sure what I would do with such big chunks of HSS. I know what could be done, but my machines don't have the power for them. Some good brands there. Bet you could sell some off to recoup your costs.

Yeah, that's where I am at with some of it. "What the heck do I DO with these monsters?" That and I have been completely unable to identify the alloy on some of these. The stellite is just kind of neat. I'm pretty certain that is a date code from 1953 on that one.

Those momax cobalt are a best quality HSS. good stuff Maynard.

I see you got some brazed carbide also. Need a green carbide or diamond wheel to sharpen these. I LOVE brazed for many things. I even popped for a Baldor carbide grinder just for these.

Those aren't brazed, I think it's just the way the sun was hitting them where they were ground. Those were all in a plastic box that seemed to have all the normal sized already ground bits in it. Most of those say Latrobe Crusader on them, but it's too hard to get the camera to pick it up. They look...ancient.

Yep, I looked a bit closer. You are correct.

BTW, grew up near you. Just north of Ottawa.

Reactions: K30
Good haul. I have some similarly huge HSS blanks (biggest my lathe can fit is 1/2") and I use them as parallels in my mill for odd shaped pieces where thin parallels won't work.

Reactions: K30
Back