What causes his "Pock Marked" finish ??

This started when I was trying to remove the cutting lines,
I rounded the bit, the cutting line mostly went away, now I have pock marks.

You were having some issues with gears wearing out on that machine- where do you stand on that situation? Did you ever resolve it?
Mark

The pock marks are likely from either (or both) tearing due to low RPMs or, weld build-up on the tip of the insert. Also, do you know what specific kind of aluminum that is? 60xx and 70xx series machines fine. 20xx, 30xx and 40xx series machine a little bit worse than warm bubble gum.

Ray

EDIT: I can tell by looking at it, it is not 70xx series. It could be 40 or 60 just based on color/sheen.

You were having some issues with gears wearing out on that machine- where do you stand on that situation? Did you ever resolve it?
Mark

Hey Mark,
I posted on the Gear Thread that I discovered a gear shaft gouged,
I groomed it and reinstalled, then I oiled all the apron fittings until
oil was dripping on the chip pan.
Oil, oil, oil !!
It appears to be working well.

The pock marks are likely from either (or both) tearing due to low RPMs or, weld build-up on the tip of the insert. Also, do you know what specific kind of aluminum that is? 60xx and 70xx series machines fine. 20xx, 30xx and 40xx series machine a little bit worse than warm bubble gum.

Ray

EDIT: I can tell by looking at it, it is not 70xx series. It could be 40 or 60 just based on color/sheen.

Hey Ray,
Its 6061.

Here's the million dollar question,
How much should I be taking off on a finish cut ??

Here's the million dollar question,
How much should I be taking off on a finish cut ??

With carbide, minimum of 10 thou DoC. With 6061, you can go pretty deep.

Ray

My Lathe can handle taking .010 ??
Shop Fox M1049

I should think so... 3/4 HP is more than enough. I used to cut 20-30 thou with a clapped-out Atlas 618 with a 3/4 HP motor.

Thanks guys,
Ill try it tomorrow and report back.

Back