What can $300 get you?

cjsamples

Active User
Registered
Here is a few photos of my super craigslist deal. Added a vfd and she fired right up. I plan on refurbing the cabinet as much as possible, install the vfd in the cabinet, and have a new control cover ready to paint.
She cuts much nicer than my 4904, but now I can work on getting some of the play out of the Clausing.

Chris

DSC00713.JPG DSC00724.JPG DSC00718.JPG DSC00720.JPG

Nice score, looks to be a bit of cleaning on the schedule;)

Hey, Great luck! Hope it all work out well for you. I have seen a few of these for sale, but they look rather heavy. Did you move this into a basement? Do you know what it weights & if it would be difficult to take apart? Thanks for any info you can share! Jim.

In what state can you find a deal like that. I might need to monitor their site.

tommie

It weighs around 1500 lbs. and I put it in my shop that is detached from the house. It looks like the bed could easily be removed from the cabinet if someone wanted to move it down to a basement. I do have a lot of cleaning to do but it should be worth it.
I picked it up off craigslist. Saw the ad, called him right then, drove down to not miss the deal, and had it in the back of the truck before sundown. No way to pick it out of the truck so I off loaded it at a warehouse I haul for. Built a gantry and brought her home. Found a ton of tooling in the cabinet, alot of BXA holders, and even a faceplate for it. Funny thing tho, 4 or 5 chuck keys but not a dang one for the chuck on it. So I made two so I can use the easy centering method from the youtube video.
Gantry needs paint but I will attach a few photos. I planned on it being able to lift 2 tons once I get the leg braces on and upgrade the u-bolts. Planning on using semitruck axle bolts as I misread the description on the ones I ordered. It is adjustable from 8 to 10 foot. Good thing as I didn't have enough height at 8 to pick up the lathe from the truck.

Chris

DSC00721.JPG DSC00723.JPG DSC00722.JPG

Sweet deal! I'm keeping an eye on Craig's List in hopes of finding something similar. What I'm really hoping for is a nice Hardinge HLV for about $500. Never hurts to dream, does it?

Harry

Back