What boring bars for my 3/8" Bridgeport boring head?

TonyBen

Registered
Registered
I have this 3/8" boring bar. Is it too long to use on my boring head?

There's not much grabbing the shank. If I can't use it, can you direct me to a good boring bar that will work with carbide CCMT or TCMT inserts?

Thanks,

Tony.

do a google search you can also try Shars, Amazon, Aliexpress lots out there

You want something in line with the depth of the hole you want to bore. That will certainly be rigid enough, but unless you need that length....

I prefer using endmills in boring heads. Short, stiff and cheap.

You want something in line with the depth of the hole you want to bore. That will certainly be rigid enough, but unless you need that length....

Do you grind for clearance?

Maritool has good stuff. Get their steel bar and cut it to length. I cut mine in a bandsaw and cleaned it up in the lathe.

Curious about this. Can you elaborate?

The steel one. Heavy metal or carbide is for longer stick out which is not needed since you'll cut them down. Mine is a 1/2" bar cut to a little over 4". It gets used in the lathe too but I should probably get another and cut this one down another inch as I fight chatter sometimes. I think 2" is the deepest I've bored on the mill.

The steel one. Heavy metal or carbide is for longer stick out which is not needed since you'll cut them down. Mine is a 1/2" bar cut to a little over 4". It gets used in the lathe too but I should probably get another and cut this one down another inch as I fight chatter sometimes. I think 2" is the deepest I've bored on the mill.
Just ordered one. It's on the way!

Do you grind for clearance?
Curious about this. Can you elaborate?

Not really much to it.

If you turn the endmill properly just the tip of one flute will stick out furthest and this becomes your cutting edge.

You can, and I have specially ground endmills for this purpose, but it’s not required.

Back