What are your methods in organizing your tooling and material stockpile?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
I like to be able to find a tool or whatever, and be able to retrieve it, without my memory.
I take inventory, and assign different walls with numbers.
Then a master sheet is laminated and updated when needed.
I also label draws and hanging tools and reference their location on the master sheet of tools.
Its been a lot of work, but worth it.

What are your ideas?
thanks,
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to be able to find a tool or whatever, and be able to retrieve it, without my memory.
I also label draws and hanging tools and reference their location on the master sheet of tools.
Its been a lot of work, but wort it.

What are your ideas?
thanks,
Jon

You are kidding right? :)

Jon, there is standing room on the bus with this subject. My big problem is there are 4 stations in our shop. I like to have or want to have each
station with its own mic calips rulers and stay there. big problem here they take a lathe mic bring it to another station and leave it. I'm trying to say
lathe's have there own (toolin & measureing) mills have there own presses and drill presses have there own. Idea; I shall put a string attatached
to each station like a mic to a sertain lathe with a string or chain on it. Maybe a safe. Back in my time its called the tool crib, and sign out for a
tool. We are about to add on I think 20x 50 shop to this existing shop and things ARE going to change. there will be a screened in tool crib.
so dont fret we all got this problem.
sam

All my tools are in stations where the work is carried out. All milling tools near the mill, lathe tools near the lathe etc..

I don't have a master sheet or anything like that because anything I don't use and see no use for anymore, I sell on. I have a small space so I can't store a great deal. I do keep my workshop very clean though and vacuum the floor on a monthly basis to keep the dust down. I also have all grinding tools on a trolley that is rolled outdoors when grinding needs to be done.

I do have a master tool tally sheet though. It has a list of all my main tools with what I paid for them and what they would sell for. This is an insurance policy so if I should die, my wife can sell them on at a realistic price as I see too many widows ripped off by the unscrupulous.

Paul.

What are your ideas?
thanks,
Jon

If inventory control is critical and efficiency and accuracy is valued. Hire a programer to write you an access or sequel program that ties to a bar code scanner. Employees will be badged and check out an item and check it back in when returned. This might also effectively monitor bottlenecks in the the production process.

Daryl
MN

Jon
I assume that we are talking about your personal shop, not a business?
i thnks that one of the first tasks is to make sure that you have enough storage space that you don't need to have tools piled on top of one another. Gives you a chance to have a system.
Jim

What are your ideas?
thanks,
Jon

Sounds great, wish I was as well organized. I felt like pretty hot stuff when I got all my end mills in one drawer. Most of the measuring tools in another, except for the outside micrometers which live in a small drawer by themselves.

Walt

I know where everything is in my shop. But, I'm the only one that works in there! If I had to catalog every item in my shop, I'd be dead way before the cataloging would be complete.:))

I have a system of organization that works for me. I have a "spot" for everything. It's all committed to the space between my ears.

If inventory control is critical and efficiency and accuracy is valued. Hire a programer to write you an access or sequel program that ties to a bar code scanner. Employees will be badged and check out an item and check it back in when returned. This might also effectively monitor bottlenecks in the the production process.

Daryl
MN
I apologize, I failed to mention that this is my personal basement workshop, with 30 years worth of mostly woodworking tools and materials, as well as my more recent hobby of metal working.
Also, I inherited quite a few tools from my father - in - law's 40 somewhat years of working in his personal shop.
Our house is over 110 years old with a basement with many large rooms and low ceilings.
The sooner I find what I need, the less of a chance I will bang my head on a pipe--hard:panic:
Thanks daryl,
Jon
ps: I am getting full time help with the inventory list of materials , tools and tooling as well as manual specs and maintenance for each machine.

Back