What are you listening to right now?

All the best songs are stolen. Led Zep and SRV should all be serving time for all they've borrowed.

This one is a fantastic cover:

Same here. 30 years working in close contact with turbine engines and high speed gearboxes tends to wipe out your hearing and give you horrible ringing tinnitus in both ears by retirement age.

But I've "trained" my brain not to allow it to take center focus. It's always there, but for the most part, I simply ignore it and it gets pushed into the background. It a bit exhausting at times as a percentage of my concentration is always focused on "not" hearing the ring, so my brain is never "off" and it never relaxes.

But if it's dead quiet, rrrrRRRIIINGGGGG!

I need something else in the environment that's making sound to redirect my focus to. As soon as I notice the ringing, it builds on itself until I can manage to push it back into the background.

the other thing is it's pretty much right at the tone they use in movies when they want to show the ears ringing after an explosion. If that comes on the TV, it's instant white hot pain in my brain as it tries to fry my brain cells.

Ignoring tinnitus isn't an easy thing, but you can learn to do it after a couple years of trying. The alternative for me was to go (more) insane.....
Good description of how it is. Mine probably had to do with large diesel engines in close proximity and the high pitch squeal of the brakes on drilling rigs.

Chuck

I learned to ignore the ringing, but I've always been fascinated by the fact that even though it seem deafening at times, it actually doesn't keep me from hearing quiet noises. It just seems like it should. It's high-pitched, multi-toned, and I can't even remember what it's like not to have it.
I think it's from working in computer rooms for many years with all the loud A/C and machine noises. I don't play music all that loud.

That said, I've really been on a heavy metal sort of kick lately. In This Moment, Five Finger Death Punch, Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, etc.

Back